Nov 7, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone,
I’m posting in the non-trad forum because I finished undergrad 3 years ago, but If I’m in the wrong place-I apologize!

I’d like some input from others on my plan of action. I’d really like to apply next year for the class entering in 2015, however I might be getting ahead of myself here. At this time I am planning to apply to DO schools only. If I do decide to apply to any MD programs, it will probably just be state schools. I’ll go ahead and apologize for the short novel here..

background info and stats:
Went through college planning on med school.. lost sight and direction as I worked 2 jobs throughout school, husband (then boyfriend) was deployed to Iraq, grades started dropping…. basically I was immature and didn’t keep priorities straight..

Graduated 2010
Biology major, Music minor
Have taken a random assortment of classes post-bacc .. (I don’t have a good answer as to why… just generally was still immature and had no sense of direction)

Finally ready to commit to this and do it right this time!

Current GPA: c3.21 s2.96

Pre-req Grades:
Bio I-A
Bio II-B
Gen Chem I-A
Gen Chem II-A
Physics I-A
Physics II-A
Organic I-C
Organic I Lab-A
Organic II-W
Organic II Lab-B
So, my low science GPA is mostly due to poor grades in other upper-level sciences.

Goal is to submit AACOMAS as early as possible. If I take MCAT mid-May then scores would be released mid-June or so.

I work full time, 30-40 hours per week (non-clinical desk job :depressed: ) and will begin retaking science courses in the Spring. Would like to start using my CNA license again to pick up maybe one shift per week to continue building clinical experiences...

Obviously I need to take O2 for pre-req requirement and to learn the material needed for MCAT, but I also need to retake O1 for grade replacement.

Some options that I have:
1. A local community college offers Organic I & II both in the same semester as two 8-week courses. If I did this route, then I would be able to have them both on transcripts by mid-May and listed as grade replacement on AACOMAS as well as taking MCAT early summer. I know how important an early submission is, and this route would allow for that.. but would I be biting off too much all at once?
2. Take Organic I in spring along with another science course in which I did poorly (thinking Micro). Take Organic II in summer. Take MCAT mid-late July. Submit application mid August.

Since any courses for grade replacement have to be complete before submitting AACOMAS, it’s important that Organic I and at least one additional course be complete before I submit. What's more important—submitting in June/July with only 2 replaced grades? or submitting in August with 3-4 replaced grades?

Additional Info: I already have varied ECs, volunteering and shadowing. I worked almost 3 years as a pharmacy tech in college and have CNA certification with about 3 months work experience.

Thanks again to anyone who takes time to read this and respond. I appreciate it!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
This plan is fine. The DO app cycle is longer, so your timing won't hurt you.

2. Take Organic I in spring along with another science course in which I did poorly (thinking Micro). Take Organic II in summer. Take MCAT mid-late July. Submit application mid August.

OP
MrsJ2011
Nov 7, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Just realized that my GPA will be a bit higher than I stated because I did retake two of my courses in my degree before graduation.. So that is encouraging..

But also Thought I might mention that I'm a Texas resident... TMDSAS does not do grade replacement (to my knowledge), so I'm not sure id have much of a chance at any of my state schools unfortunately..
Is it even worth applying? I feel like it's worth applying since Texas has strong preference for residents.. Thoughts anyone?

*** sent from my phone, please excuse typos!

Jan 18, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Depends on your MCAT. If you can pull a good score (say >33), you could have a shot. Especially if you can target yourself to some of the schools missions, like Texas Tech looks for people interested in rural health etc. Remember TCOM (DO school) is in the Texas application system too, with cheap state tuition. If you could apply early, that would be best, but according to your plan you may not be able to, so that lowers your chances. I'd say it depends on your score. If it's good, then go for it.

Jan 18, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, be aware that some Texas schools require biochem (UT San Antonio, Texas Tech Lubbock, A&M) and some require Statistics (TCOM, TX Tech Lubbock, UT San Antonio, A&M) or Calculus OR Statistics (UT Southwestern, TX Tech El Paso, UT Galveston) (per TMDSAS education requirements). Courses can be in progress during application cycle.

OP
MrsJ2011
Nov 7, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Depends on your MCAT. If you can pull a good score (say >33), you could have a shot. Especially if you can target yourself to some of the schools missions, like Texas Tech looks for people interested in rural health etc. Remember TCOM (DO school) is in the Texas application system too, with cheap state tuition. If you could apply early, that would be best, but according to your plan you may not be able to, so that lowers your chances. I'd say it depends on your score. If it's good, then go for it.
Yes, that is the unfortunate thing that TCOM is in the TX app system =( I'd really love to stay in TX of course because I have family here, but also because of the cheap tuition. I am certainly going to study my butt off for the MCAT! It's basically my last chance at getting into a Texas school, with the exception of an SMP..

Also, be aware that some Texas schools require biochem (UT San Antonio, Texas Tech Lubbock, A&M) and some require Statistics (TCOM, TX Tech Lubbock, UT San Antonio, A&M) or Calculus OR Statistics (UT Southwestern, TX Tech El Paso, UT Galveston) (per TMDSAS education requirements). Courses can be in progress during application cycle.
That's a good point. Thankfully I already have stats (and biostats). I don't have Biochem, but since I have a low gpa, taking biochem will be an opportunity for me to do well in a course on the first try as part of my mission to prove I can handle tough science courses.

Thanks!

jayoh

turning mountains into molehills
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2011
Status
Medical Student
It looks like you had some trouble with organic, so I think that taking an accelerated course would be unwise. Also, August is still early for DO schools. I vote option #2

OP
MrsJ2011
Nov 7, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
It looks like you had some trouble with organic, so I think that taking an accelerated course would be unwise. Also, August is still early for DO schools. I vote option #2
Yeah, organic is definitely where I started slacking off.. I agree that it's best to stay away from the accelerated classes