rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I have 2 classes that I am really torn between. I don't care which will help me on the MCAT, I'm just looking for some insight.

1. Survey of Biochemistry: basically a dumbed down version of Biochem 1, I'm in Organic 2 next semester so taking Biochem 1 isn't an option. I know I can get an A, but this class really creates problems with my schedule; ie I have 3 hour gaps 4 days a week, and I don't want to drive home and come back. I will also be taking Biochem 1 in the fall regardless, since I'm a Biochem minor

2. Neurobiology: Really fits well into my schedule, however I'm concerned about going into this class, as I have heard its hard. I met all the pre-reqs for it (Calc 1 and OChem 1). I also am not to sure I can get an "A" and I need another science LOR, which I know I can get from the biochem class.

Maybe someone who has taken neurobiology can elaborate whether they think it will be to hard without Biochem, OChem 2, etc... And any other input would be great.

Venc

5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2010
N/A
Status
Pre-Medical
So I have 2 classes that I am really torn between. I don't care which will help me on the MCAT, I'm just looking for some insight.

1. Survey of Biochemistry: basically a dumbed down version of Biochem 1, I'm in Organic 2 next semester so taking Biochem 1 isn't an option. I know I can get an A, but this class really creates problems with my schedule; ie I have 3 hour gaps 4 days a week, and I don't want to drive home and come back. I will also be taking Biochem 1 in the fall regardless, since I'm a Biochem minor

2. Neurobiology: Really fits well into my schedule, however I'm concerned about going into this class, as I have heard its hard. I met all the pre-reqs for it (Calc 1 and OChem 1). I also am not to sure I can get an "A" and I need another science LOR, which I know I can get from the biochem class.

Maybe someone who has taken neurobiology can elaborate whether they think it will be to hard without Biochem, OChem 2, etc... And any other input would be great.
I have taken a neuro class and it was a pain in the butt. There is a LOT to memorize at least in my class (not the same as yours) but it was super interesting. What about Genetics, Cell biology or Comparative anatomy. I taken all three and they are great classes to take and also interesting

OP
rcheech7

rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
These are the only 2 classes (besides plant classes) that fit into my schedule at all. Unfortunately.

ukrainian

c-c-c-combo breaker
Sep 17, 2010
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd take the biochem one and put up with the schedule. Can you study at school during those 3 hour gaps? I have a few long gaps as well and that's when I sit down and really get some work done

OP
rcheech7

rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah I figured that I would end up studying during the gaps. I know that the biochem class will be more useful, but I just hate gaps :(

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I figured that I would end up studying during the gaps. I know that the biochem class will be more useful, but I just hate gaps :(
I always have random gaps in my schedule. It sucks, but it's pretty much unavoidable.