A little worried about # of classes taken..any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washupremedSV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a little bit worried about the number of classes I've taken during my first 3 semesters of college and was wondering how much it would hurt me when I'm applying for med schools. For the last three semesters, I have taken exactly 4 classes for a grade per semester. However, I have done well in all the classes I have taken and last semester I took 3 sciences and did well in all of them. Almost every other student I know has taken at least 5 classes per semester and so I'm a little bit worried. Also, is it a valid excuse that I did research at the medical school during the school year during freshman year?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm a little bit worried about the number of classes I've taken during my first 3 semesters of college and was wondering how much it would hurt me when I'm applying for med schools. For the last three semesters, I have taken exactly 4 classes for a grade per semester. However, I have done well in all the classes I have taken and last semester I took 3 sciences and did well in all of them (including an A+ in organic chemistry). Almost every other student I know has taken at least 5 classes per semester and so I'm a little bit worried since it may seem to the admissions people that the only reason I took a small number of classes is so that I can boost my GPA. Also, is it a valid excuse that I did research at the medical school during the school year during freshman year?

thanks!

4 classes per semester is normal. Don't worry about it. As long as your GPA is good (and it sounds like it is), admissions committees won't hold that against you.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, 4 courses/semester is a full courseload at WUSTL (I assume you go there by your screenname). If you were underloading that's different, but that is not the issue. What matters is that you've done very well in your classes.