A long way for clinical exp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worth it?

• Heck no

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Heck yes

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
D

deleted1040417

Is a 1 hour and 40-minute (total: both to and back) drive worth the hassle for clinical volunteering to you guys? Or is scribing sufficient? Especially during winter. Why or why not? It is centered around patient transport from department to department it seems.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that scribing is sufficient. Do you have non-clinical volunteering on your resume?

Yes, I currently volunteer at a food bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is a 1 hour and 40-minute (total: both to and back) drive worth the hassle for clinical volunteering to you guys? Or is scribing sufficient? Especially during winter. Why or why not? It is centered around patient transport from department to department it seems.
I think it depends on where you live (some places a 30 minute drive anywhere is standard and others a 10 minute drive is--so a 50 minute drive has a different connotation to both) and the quality of the experience. For no more than patient transport? I'd personally say your time is more valuable than that experience if you've had other clinical and volunteering experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it in-person scribing, or tele-scribing?

Is it in-person scribing, or tele-scribing?
In-person. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes tele-scribing with cases rising. One of my peers said they got moved to it over summer and returned to in-person, but they don't work with the same company.

In-person. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes tele-scribing with cases rising. One of my peers said they got moved to it over summer and returned to in-person, but they don't work with the same company.
In-person scribing makes it a "clinical experience" by SDN popular definition (with bonus points if you can interact with the patients). Distance scribing would not. A mix of the two should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I said it and it happened -- the scribing position just got moved to online scribing. Only have 3 months under my belt but looks like I might have to take 2 gap years then (was already looking at one gap).