a LOR that just talks about my grade = bad letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called Tuft admission last week regarding their LOR requirement, and the school must require a letter from BIOLOGY instructor. Since I did a biochem major, The last time I took a biology coded course was 2 years ago.

So, I emailed my Biology professor who doesn't know me very well, and he
says that he can not add any information to what my BIOL 201 grade provides on the letter.

Have you guys sumbit a letter that just talks about your grade in a course?

My other letters from biochem professor are strong since I did a biochem major. I hope that I can compenstate for this crappy letter from biology prof.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

uh...

Biochem is, in most cases, considered a biological science, thus your professor should be considered a bio professor. Is your biochem class housed in the biology department. If it is...then your biochem professor is a biology professor.

I called Tuft admission last week regarding their LOR requirement, and the school must require a letter from BIOLOGY instructor. Since I did a biochem major, The last time I took a biology coded course was 2 years ago.

So, I emailed my Biology professor who doesn't know me very well, and he
says that he can not add any information to what my BIOL 201 grade provides on the letter.

Have you guys sumbit a letter that just talks about your grade in a course?

My other letters from biochem professor are strong since I did a biochem major. I hope that I can compenstate for this crappy letter from biology prof.
Thanks!

I would talk with the biology professor, armed with a resume and maybe even a personal statement. Make an appt with him to discuss your goals so you can give him more information that can be incorporated into his letter. If after your meeting he seems unenthusiastic, I would not ask him for a letter. A mediocre letter equals a bad LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
uh...

Biochem is, in most cases, considered a biological science, thus your professor should be considered a bio professor. Is your biochem class housed in the biology department. If it is...then your biochem professor is a biology professor.

no, biochem class is not housed in biology department in my school. I address this question to Tuft admission ppl and they said one letter must come from Biology professor.

no, biochem class is not housed in biology department in my school. I address this question to Tuft admission ppl and they said one letter must come from Biology professor.

Speak with Tuft about any exceptions that they've made for previous applicants. Maybe they'll waive it. Some schools actually do.

Marion