a lot of interviews no acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddodent2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.6 and 21AA. Good LOR and good extracurriculars
I've had quite a few interviews but no acceptances. What am I doing wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

I have interviewed at UF, NYU, Midwestern - AZ, U Penn, U Pittsburgh, and Case

Last edited:
I think you need to practice interview skills...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you waitlisted at some of those schools? Have you sent them letters of intent with any updates/changes? If you have not, send those stating your continued interest and why your prior accomplishments and experiences make you a good fit for their respective programs. As the above poster stated, it is most likely interview performance. From experience, what i found to be helpful was write down generic answers to about 50-60 most commonly asked interview questions and just go over the answers repeatedly. I wasn't memorizing them, of course. Rather, I just made sure that if i were asked a similar question, I wouldn't blank or freeze during the interview. This also made me appear more confident and confidence is appreciated in interview settings. The cycle is not yet over so dont lose hope. In the event that you need to reapply, definitely sharpen up your interview answers. Best of luck to you, im hoping for the best!

Reactions: 2 users
Are you waitlisted at some of those schools? Have you sent them letters of intent with any updates/changes? If you have not, send those stating your continued interest and why your prior accomplishments and experiences make you a good fit for their respective programs. As the above poster stated, it is most likely interview performance. From experience, what i found to be helpful was write down generic answers to about 50-60 most commonly asked interview questions and just go over the answers repeatedly. I wasn't memorizing them, of course. Rather, I just made sure that if i were asked a similar question, I wouldn't blank or freeze during the interview. This also made me appear more confident and confidence is appreciated in interview settings. The cycle is not yet over so dont lose hope. In the event that you need to reapply, definitely sharpen up your interview answers. Best of luck to you, im hoping for the best!
I am waitlisted at all of these schools. I have not sent a letter of intent/interest after December 2. Is it okay to send a letter of interest to all of them and a letter of intent to one of them? I don't think I said anything that was a red flag. For the interviews, I was socializing well with other applicants and current students. I did that before all of the interviews as well. I also looked up school-specific questions on SDN. I didn't think I have that bad social skills ):

0/6 not good.
maybe you give off a weird vibe? There must be something that the admissions committee is noticing

I can't vibe check myself :/

ask your friends
personality, character, actions, etc.

Regardless, send a letter of intent to all the schools expressing interest in them all. Right now you need an acceptance

If you had a bad interview, you would’ve just been rejected. I just think you have horrible luck in this case to be honest. These schools wouldn’t even waitlist you if they didn’t think you meet their standards. Just wait it out, what’s meant to be will be.

Reactions: 1 users
If you had a bad interview, you would’ve just been rejected. I just think you have horrible luck in this case to be honest. These schools wouldn’t even waitlist you if they didn’t think you meet their standards. Just wait it out, what’s meant to be will be.
my predental advisor was telling me that they will accept someone with higher stats before they accept me. So once all the AA-22+ people turn down their spots, (and if there are still some left) they might accept me then

my predental advisor was telling me that they will accept someone with higher stats before they accept me. So once all the AA-22+ people turn down their spots, (and if there are still some left) they might accept me then
I agree that you probably just have bad luck this cycle if you were not flat out rejected. You are still a viable candidate so hang in there, as I wouldn't be surprised if you get in at some point this cycle. Do send letters of intents to all schools, however. Your stats are solid, especially if you landed interviews at some of the schools you listed. As hard as it is, just keep waiting and good fortune will hopefully for you!

I agree that you probably just have bad luck this cycle if you were not flat out rejected. You are still a viable candidate so hang in there, as I wouldn't be surprised if you get in at some point this cycle. Do send letters of intents to all schools, however. Your stats are solid, especially if you landed interviews at some of the schools you listed. As hard as it is, just keep waiting and good fortune will hopefully for you!
Thank you for the kind words

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve seen many people get accepted with 19’s and 20’s already as well while others with higher DAT scores are also struggling to get in at this point. It’s really just a matter of luck after you’ve had good interviews.

Race is definitely a factor for acceptance in medicine, I'm sure it's similar in dentistry as well.

But it doesn't matter. Race is out of your control. What is in your control is kicking ass in school

Reactions: 3 users
I have interviewed at UF, NYU, Midwestern - AZ, U Penn, U Pittsburgh, and Case
hey! I was in a similar situation as you; waitlisted at 6+ schools. Just 2 weeks ago after sending a few letters of interest/updates I got off the waitlist at one of my top schools! Don't lose hope yet.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
hey! I was in a similar situation as you; waitlisted at 6+ schools. Just 2 weeks ago after sending a few letters of interest/updates I got off the waitlist at one of my top schools! Don't lose hope yet.
How to write letter of interest? Ánd what did you update to them?

I think posting on the forum seeking help is a great step. It shows you're really determined to get in. You should be proud of yourself.

It sounds like you have to improve your interview skills. You don't have to write out your answers 50-60 times.

Focus on verbalizing your interest/determination for being in a dental school program. Work on your "elevator pitch". Tell your friends, family, barista, etc. It's easy to say things to ourselves but when you say it out loud, you're forced to articulate your motivations for pursuing dental school

If you received interviews, that means you have adequate stats. A higher DAT score wouldn't make a difference. Work on your interview skills and send those letters of intent/interest. I've heard of classmates getting in the week of D1 orientation so stay positive and keep grinding.

Dentistry is incredible and it's worth fighting for a seat in any of those programs. Good luck.

Last edited:
I’ve seen many people get accepted with 19’s and 20’s already as well while others with higher DAT scores are also struggling to get in at this point. It’s really just a matter of luck after you’ve had good interviews.
Where specifically?