A&M vs UTHSCSA vs UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meds kewl1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loved all of these schools. Really struggling how to rank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for UTHSCSA.

Obviously each school has its own identity that will cater more to particular applicants. My perception is that in terms of prestige: UTHSCSA > UTMB > A&M. The SDN consensus, it seems, is that UTHSCSA has the "happiest" students in TX; they have a lot of camaraderie. As for location, San Antonio is arguably more fun than Galveston or College Station. UTHSCSA's new curriculum appears to emulate UTMB's, which is a good thing. Also, UTHSCSA has just finished and is completing several new building projects/upgrades, or so I've heard. Proximity to family is another concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I vote for UTHSCSA.

Obviously each school has its own identity that will cater more to particular applicants. My perception is that in terms of prestige: UTHSCSA > UTMB > A&M. The SDN consensus, it seems, is that UTHSCSA has the "happiest" students in TX; they have a lot of camaraderie. As for location, San Antonio is arguably more fun than Galveston or College Station. UTHSCSA's new curriculum appears to emulate UTMB's, which is a good thing. Also, UTHSCSA has just finished and is completing several new building projects/upgrades, or so I've heard. Proximity to family is another concern.

Awesome response, thank you! I have been definitely leaning towards UTHSCSA as my top choice for those reasons. Would you rank UTMB over A&M? I liked the environment of UTMB better but have heard rumors of the school's decline since Ike, and know that A&M has great options for clinical rotations. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome response, thank you! I have been definitely leaning towards UTHSCSA as my top choice for those reasons. Would you rank UTMB over A&M? I liked the environment of UTMB better but have heard rumors of the school's decline since Ike, and know that A&M has great options for clinical rotations. Thoughts?

A&M vs UTMB is a more difficult decision in my mind. I think most people here will tell you to rank UTMB above A&M. Truth be told, I haven't interviewed at either; I really don't know which I would choose personally. Right now, I'd personally lean towards UTMB, but I'd ultimately decide based on where I felt more comfortable at the interview. I think several aspects at both schools could be construed as either pros or cons depending on the applicant's interests and personality (e.g. A&M's relatively rural location, or UTMB's relatively heavy use of PBL). Based on your response, it seems like UTMB is a safer choice, especially because there's no guarantee as to where you'll spend years 3/4 for A&M (unless you really like all the rotation sites).

Last edited:
I have to make the same rankings myself, and enjoyed my interview days at Texas A&M and UTMB MUCH more than my day in San Antonio, so UTHSCSA will be last. Good luck to you.
Why? /curious

I have to make the same rankings myself, and enjoyed my interview days at Texas A&M and UTMB MUCH more than my day in San Antonio, so UTHSCSA will be last. Good luck to you.

I'm so sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience at UTHSCSA- was it your interviewers? What are you leaning towards in your rankings?