Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

A&M vs UTHSCSA vs UTMB

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2016)' started by Meds kewl1234, 01.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Meds kewl1234

Meds kewl1234

I absolutely loved all of these schools. Really struggling how to rank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Ja3ger

Ja3ger The Red Viper 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I vote for UTHSCSA.

Obviously each school has its own identity that will cater more to particular applicants. My perception is that in terms of prestige: UTHSCSA > UTMB > A&M. The SDN consensus, it seems, is that UTHSCSA has the "happiest" students in TX; they have a lot of camaraderie. As for location, San Antonio is arguably more fun than Galveston or College Station. UTHSCSA's new curriculum appears to emulate UTMB's, which is a good thing. Also, UTHSCSA has just finished and is completing several new building projects/upgrades, or so I've heard. Proximity to family is another concern.

Last edited: 01.13.14
    Meds kewl1234 likes this.
  4. Meds kewl1234

Meds kewl1234

Awesome response, thank you! I have been definitely leaning towards UTHSCSA as my top choice for those reasons. Would you rank UTMB over A&M? I liked the environment of UTMB better but have heard rumors of the school's decline since Ike, and know that A&M has great options for clinical rotations. Thoughts?

5. Ja3ger

Pre-Medical
    A&M vs UTMB is a more difficult decision in my mind. I think most people here will tell you to rank UTMB above A&M. Truth be told, I haven't interviewed at either; I really don't know which I would choose personally. Right now, I'd personally lean towards UTMB, but I'd ultimately decide based on where I felt more comfortable at the interview. I think several aspects at both schools could be construed as either pros or cons depending on the applicant's interests and personality (e.g. A&M's relatively rural location, or UTMB's relatively heavy use of PBL). Based on your response, it seems like UTMB is a safer choice, especially because there's no guarantee as to where you'll spend years 3/4 for A&M (unless you really like all the rotation sites).

Last edited: 01.15.14
  6. ckalch

ckalch 2+ Year Member

I have to make the same rankings myself, and enjoyed my interview days at Texas A&M and UTMB MUCH more than my day in San Antonio, so UTHSCSA will be last. Good luck to you.

7. Ja3ger

Pre-Medical
    Why? /curious

8. Meds kewl1234

Meds kewl1234

I'm so sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience at UTHSCSA- was it your interviewers? What are you leaning towards in your rankings?

About the ads