A MD from The Netherlands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Menateach Rosh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a short 'n simple question:

How are native graduates from the lovely country of Holland looked upon by the American surgical community in the residency application process in any of the surgical (sub)specialties??
Is it better to bet on 'more than one per year'-residencies, or large city programs, or anything else I did not think off??

Any comments anyone??

Members don't see this ad.

some programs are more likely to take IMG's than others. As a general rule of thumb, I'd say it's near impossible to match into GU, ortho, and ENT as an IMG. If you're a good applicant, general surgery would be within reach.

I've seen some IMG's match into prelim surgery spots; then continue on or transfer into categorical programs. Talk with an advisor about your specific situation.

Good luck.

Menateach Rosh said:
Just a short 'n simple question:

How are native graduates from the lovely country of Holland looked upon by the American surgical community in the residency application process in any of the surgical (sub)specialties??
Is it better to bet on 'more than one per year'-residencies, or large city programs, or anything else I did not think off??

Any comments anyone??

if you're dutch, are fluent in english, have high marks from med school, and have done well on step I and 2, then you have a legit shot somewhere... european medical schools are viewed slightly more favorably than non-euro foreign med schools. i suggest talking to some surgeons in holland whom have american contacts. it's helpful to identify some programs that have taken dutch graduates in the past.

if you don't have a powerful/connected dutch surgeon to help you out, another option to the categorical track is to obtain a prelim surgery position and work your way in from there. it is unlikely (though not impossible) that an american surgery program will accept an fmg with no american clinical experience into a residency program sight unseen.

every year there are a number of foreign medical graduates that enter residencies in every field (contrary to many posters' beliefs). what you need to do is a LOT of research so that you optimize your match chances. you also will probably have to have some american clinical experience either as a prelim resident, or as a med student type rotation.

it can definitley be done, but it won't be easy.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prima te doen, moet wel verschrikkelijk goed zijn :D

Aantal belangrijke zaken zijn: 1. goede connecties. 2. Goede USMLE scores. 3. Een green card. 4. Research.

Het is denk ik vrijwel onmogelijk om een goed residency programma binnen te lopen zonder dat je daar eerst behoorlijk in investeert. Heb je dat er voor over, dan zijn er geen grenzen. Ook de beste programma's nemen IMG's in hun midden op, maar dan moet je kunnen laten zien dat je ook goed genoeg bent voor die programma's. Ik spreek (schrijf) uit eigen ervaring, en het bevalt mij prima!

Translation: Sure!

I'm interested in applying to the University of Leiden for medical school. I am an American undergraduate. I've looked at other medical schools in Holland, but Leiden is my top choice.
How does the application process work? I know it is a type of lottery system. Does having a masters (lets say from Leiden) increase one's chances of being accepeted into medical school? Does it have to be a health-field related masters?
Also, what are other top medical schools in the Netherlands?
Is it better to go to medical school in US and then go to netherlands for work? Is the american degree valued more?