A means to express my pain....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsDoctor

MSII
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my FAFSA back, and somehow I have an EFC of 12K!!!! this is rediculous! my spous' and my adjusted gross income for this past year was 22K a hair above the 20K under which all independent students get a "0" EFC. And now I feel like if I had thrown away 2K into a crippled stock in the market I could have put that under a capitol loss and come out on top! thats right i could have burned 2K and been in a better situation than I am now... while yes we had some monies last year, we paid for our own wedding and now I'm looking at 12K in unsubsidized, high interest, no food on the table for the next 20 years loans. I feel like screaming this whole system is broken! where the heck do they get off telling me my EFC is 12K!!! I have only 2 times that to my name. It seems like they are telling me "hey there are some people who have nothing so we are gonna take what little you have away from you so that you could be just like them! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH +pissed+ im gonna cry

Members don't see this ad.

Only difference between an EFC of 0 and an EFC of 8500 is subsidized loans. So instead of 8500 subsidized and 30000 unsubsidized you will have 38500 unsubsidized.

In the grand scheme of things it really isn't that much of a difference. Just talk to your school to see what kind of campus based aid you can get.

Only difference between an EFC of 0 and an EFC of 8500 is subsidized loans. So instead of 8500 subsidized and 30000 unsubsidized you will have 38500 unsubsidized.

In the grand scheme of things it really isn't that much of a difference. Just talk to your school to see what kind of campus based aid you can get.

Just curious.... where did you get 8500 from?