• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

A med students opinion

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
    hey, guys... just wanted to know your opinion of taking prereq classes at a junior college or university level.

does it really matter?

what if you do well on the MCATs, does it still matter where you completed the course work.

Universities are so expersive, its just so much cheaper to take the classes at a JC.

Thoughs, Responses...please....

lisa13579

2K Member
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jun 27, 2003
    between happy and stressed
      chan said:
      hey, guys... just wanted to know your opinion of taking prereq classes at a junior college or university level.

does it really matter?

what if you do well on the MCATs, does it still matter where you completed the course work.

Universities are so expersive, its just so much cheaper to take the classes at a JC.

I took a few of my prereqs at a JC because I got my degree in fine arts a few years prior, was working full time, and needed to take my classes in the evening. I did well in all my prereq courses (A's), did fine on the MCAT and was accepted to 5 schools. No one asked why I took my courses at a JC, but I'm sure I explained it well in my personal statement.

Good luck

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jan 22, 2005
      Puget Sound
      1. Attending Physician
        chan said:

does it really matter?

Hi, Chan. I just responded to your post about the F in bio.

This can go either way. On the one hand, it's better to have high grades, right? And most jc's are easier when it comes to grading (although I'm sure that isn't always true). The only problem you will have is when a school actively looks at where you took those classes, and some do. For example, I know that is the case at UW. Where competition is fiece, it could mean getting in or not. You have to look at where you want to go and do the research.

About the Ads

chan

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Nov 22, 2004
          NeuroSync said:
          Hi, Chan. I just responded to your post about the F in bio.

This can go either way. On the one hand, it's better to have high grades, right? And most jc's are easier when it comes to grading (although I'm sure that isn't always true). The only problem you will have is when a school actively looks at where you took those classes, and some do. For example, I know that is the case at UW. Where competition is fiece, it could mean getting in or not. You have to look at where you want to go and do the research.

NeuroSync, Im not looking to be accepted at schools like Harvard, Yale, etc...
          Im looking more along the lines of Case, USC, Charles Drew, Tufts, etc.....

whats your opinion on that?

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jan 22, 2005
          Puget Sound
          1. Attending Physician
            chan said:

Case is a tough egg to crack! But I think they look at the whole person. The average MCAT is like 35, and the secondary is super important. You need to come up with two brilliant essays to get a look, no matter what your numbers are. But Case is reasonable...

If there is a certain school that you have your heart set on, do the research there. Otherwise, it probably won't matter. The only way it would is if it came down to two candidates who were equal, one spot in the class, and they looked to see where you took the sciences. It might indicate that you steered clear of the "hard work."

In other words, it's hard to say either way, but with your GPA, a good MCAT, and applications to a broad spectrum of schools, you'll be fine.

YzIa

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jul 16, 2004
              chan said:

Well, those arent exactly Harvards or Yales, but they the upper third of medical schools and any of them could definitely look down upon taking prereqs at a JC. At my Case interview the majority of the applicants were from ivy league schools. No lie, I felt out of place coming from a state university. All med schools are hard to get into and these are harder than the typical school. Rule of thumb should be to take all prereqs and ideally all classes at a University. You are going to be greatly indebt if you attend medical school, digging that hole a little earlier wont hurt much.
              ps Case's avg incoming MCAT is 33.

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
              10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              Jan 22, 2005
              Puget Sound
              1. Attending Physician
                YzIa said:
                Well, those arent exactly Harvards or Yales, but they the upper third of medical schools and any of them could definitely look down upon taking prereqs at a JC. At my Case interview the majority of the applicants were from ivy league schools. No lie, I felt out of place coming from a state university. All med schools are hard to get into and these are harder than the typical school. Rule of thumb should be to take all prereqs and ideally all classes at a University. You are going to be greatly indebt if you attend medical school, digging that hole a little earlier wont hurt much.
                ps Case's avg incoming MCAT is 33.

I stand corrected. 33

I also agree with you that it is better to take all courses at a University. I'd play it safe...

chan

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Nov 22, 2004
                  NeuroSync said:
                  I stand corrected. 33

I also agree with you that it is better to take all courses at a University. I'd play it safe...

NeuroSync, I do agree with you that it is prob better to take courses at the University level. What I failed to mention is that I am married with one child, so spending money to go back to a University and finish my prereqs might not be possible...

Im looking at it this way, spend money now on preqs at a university, or save money now and spend money later in med school.

your thoughts...

DHMO

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Dec 16, 2004
                    I had a friend in college who was an accounting major, decided late in the game that she wanted to do medicine, so took a lot of the pre-reqs at a JC. She ended up getting into Hopkins, UCSF, etc. . . She was a very strong applicant, but my point is that taking classes at a JC is not going to be the kiss of death when applying to med school.

mfrederi

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Jun 2, 2003
                    Texas
                      I took JC classes. Wasn't a big deal in my opinion, of course I also am going to an osteopathic school, so they may be more lax when it comes to these kinda things. An F is an F, whether it is at JC or univ., however an A at a JC in organic is definantly not the same as an A at X univ. If you feel good about your MCAT though I would do whatever it took to be academically successful (i.e. make A's). Really, that is the determining factor IMO. A low MCAT will make schools snub their nose at JC grades because to them you have not proven you can do med school caliber work. A low MCAT and A's at a univ will be looked as "well, maybe he had a bad day" or "he obviously knows how to study hard just lacks some test taking skill," etc. Like I said though, a high MCAT will pretty much validate JC grades.

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.