A Million Apologies!!.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmoon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that this question has been asked over a million times (well, maybe not THAT many), but can those in the know tell me how important it might be to take the MCAT in April (though you might not be as prepared as you like) and re-take it in August if you don't do well?? Do the schools these days look at both scores? Do they average them?? If a pre-med does not feel ready to take it in April, should he/she wait until August? Does that slightly reduce your admission chances if you wait until August??

Thanks a million!

Members don't see this ad.

DrMoon,
If you can afford the test, then take it in April. Med schools take your most recent score, so consider it a practice run. Both application services do not fully process you application until they have official results. If you wait until August then you won't be processed until October when the scores return. If you don't like your score then retake it in August. Just remember to right that MCAT does not foward your score to AACOMAS unless you request it.

Don't worry about it... I have had more interviews than several students I know who took the April MCAT. The only caveat is if you are counting on a stellar MCAT to make up for the rest of your application (e.g. a low gpa, no EC) Then I would suggest you take it early so that they don't jump the gun and reject you outright. Just my 2 cents