Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

A Million Apologies!!.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drmoon, Feb 5, 2002.

1. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm sure that this question has been asked over a million times (well, maybe not THAT many), but can those in the know tell me how important it might be to take the MCAT in April (though you might not be as prepared as you like) and re-take it in August if you don't do well?? Do the schools these days look at both scores? Do they average them?? If a pre-med does not feel ready to take it in April, should he/she wait until August? Does that slightly reduce your admission chances if you wait until August??

Thanks a million!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dukeblue01

dukeblue01 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Medical schools typically look at both sets of scores, but give the most weight to your most recent set of scores (Note: Most recent does not always equal best). Thus, many applicants take it once, are unhappy and then really study hard to take it again. Ideally, you should take it just once, studying as hard as you can for it the first time. But the best laid plans of mice and men.....

As for April vs. August, April testing allows you to submit your AMCAS very close to the first available date. Anyone can tell you that the easiest way to increase your chances of acceptance is early application, and timely completion of secondaries. While August testing still makes admission possible, it is so much easier to apply early and hopefully gain acceptance before the end of the year. That takes a huge burden off your shoulders, and for me, made every subsequesnt interview that much easier and smoother. Good luck, and try searching these topics to get a huge amount of information.

3. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Only take the MCAT when you are ready for it. Some schools average scores, others only look at the most recent score.

It is generally better to take the MCAT in April because it allows you to apply earlier. In the past when AMCAS actually worked the applicants who applied early had a better chance to get into med school. I'm not sure if that will be the case next year.

Why do applicants who apply earlier theoretically have a better chance of getting accepted? Well because most schools are on rolling admissions. They are more likely to accept a mediocre applicant if they have 150 free spots rather than if they have 10-15 free spots.

Good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. colorado_1

colorado_1 Member
    7+ Year Member

yes this question has been asked a million times. anyway, the mcat story goes like this. if you'll do better in august, take it then. whether or not a bad mcat in april will hurt you depends on the school. there is no direct answer. some schools average both mcats, some schools just consider the best score in each category for a "super mcat" some schools will only care about the most recent score. in short, it's always to your advantage to take the mcat when you will get the highest score the first time. believe me, i took it twice and you don't wanna retake the mcat if avoidable (my 1st score had gotten old.) i scored similarly on both mcats (1st one i took was in april) and i didn't get into med school at all, then i did research and worked on other areas of my app for a couple of years and then took an august mcat and got into 4 schools. basically, in a perfect world, a good april mcat gives you more time and helps you in the application cycle, but that's only considering if you got a similar score in april and in august. a better august score will be better for your app than a lack luster april score even though you are applying later in the cycle.

5. squeek

squeek Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took my MCAT in August, but didn't apply until June, a year later. It worked out really well for me--I had the benefit of being able to study in the summer without the distraction of school, AND I was able to submit my application in June of the next year, with scores and everything complete right away.