A nasty rumor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nate Knutson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard the other day from a 4th year medical student that the Federal Government passed a new ruling that they will only pay for 5 years of Residency. Is there any truth to this rumor at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that this is new. I've always heard that they will only pay for training in one specialty & not further subspecialty training. As I understood it this was one of the financial pressures that led to integrated Derm & Plastic Surgery residencies (and the forthcoming integrated CV & Vascular surgery residencies)

I don't know how true this is. I met a few people who had completed internal medicine residencies and are now in the middle of 4-year radiology residencies. Also........things like CV surgery and neurosurgery are 7 years long.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by dbiddy:
•I don't know how true this is. I met a few people who had completed internal medicine residencies and are now in the middle of 4-year radiology residencies. Also........things like CV surgery and neurosurgery are 7 years long.•••••I believe that the federal government now only pays for one residency, depending on when you graduated medical school. In addition, the duration of those federal funds is fixed by what field you do your internship in.

OK, the last I read has to do with Direct funding and Indirect funding. The number of years you qualify for direct funding is determined by the first residency program you enter. Then if you switch from, say a 3 year program to a different program that takes 4 years, you still only get 3 total years of direct funding. As for doing a whole 2nd residency -- I think you can still qualify for indirect funding, but economically most programs want to fill their slots with residents at direct funding because it's a higher percentage.