A New Hope for Pain Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aether2000

algosdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dark clouds of insurer incursion into physicians practice, reimbursement concerns, charlatanism, and lack of any meaningful accepted advances in the field of pain medicine can create frustration and a nihilistic despair in older pain physicians. But those issues were not present yesterday nor an afterthought as I first hand observed and interacted with some of the brightest young physicians I have yet met at a conference. In particular, George, one of our own here on SDN, demonstrated an encyclopedic knowledge of ultrasound techniques, approaches, and tricks that I had never previously heard of, in spite of my 5 year experience in musculoskeletal US and continued training in the technique. The inventions that were toys to us to be learned as we practiced or were of minor importance in the daily practice of musculoskeletal medicine and pain, were shown to be extremely valuable when coupled with a profound understanding of anatomical nuances, physiology, and pathophysiology as demonstrated by a true master. If George is a measure of the current generation of pain physicians finishing residency, those of us that have fought the battles of a new specialty over the past several decades can rest easy with the knowledge our patients will be in excellent hands of those young physicians that will eclipse the accomplishments of the old guard many times over, and provide patients extraordinary diagnostic and therapeutic care. Perhaps the future is not so bleak after all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
upload_2015-6-8_6-55-38.jpeg

C'mom George, raise your hand. Us old guys need something to give us the will to live.

A Jedi Master! of ultrasound. Damn

How about a first annual SDN MSK Ultrasound Course? If Algos is singing your praises you need your own gig George. Seriously, I'm in for whatever the tuition is. What do you think?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Thought I discovered the Paul McCartney of US. Guess I'm stuck practicing medicine another 15,yrs

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, whenever I see "regenerative medicine" or "biologics" I get suspicious. Nothing against the parties involved. But these fields are still in the quarantine room for me.

George is a stand up guy. It seems like he's made a career out of going to medical conferences and writing papers. I've seen him give a talk and it was excellent.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a secret web sight? Hot one?

Uh oh......looks like ssdoc is going to be using that goat placenta and horse semen he was so defensive about.

George has very little chance against the BCBS's of the world. Oooops.....Regenrative medicine?.....never mind.

I need to strongly echo what Algos said in June about George and his remarkable fund of ultrasound knowledge and ability to teach it to others. George and I spent this past weekend 1:1 scanning a model and doing several procedures on my patients. I have US in my practice for 5+ years. I have a huge library of resources including some excellent slide shows. However, two days with George taught me more than I could have learned in decades of reading and standing around a model with 6 other guys in a hotel conference room. For those of you interested in MSK US, despite the reimbursement shortcomings, George is the man.

Reactions: 6 users
While I'm awaiting my ultrasound jedi course, can anyone recommend an IDET jedi? These skills will prove to be pure GOLD at my free clinic!!;)

I had the opportunity to hang out with George this last weekend in Park City, Utah where he taught a small group ultrasound examination and injection techniques of the shoulder and knee and I can honestly say that I was very impressed with his knowledge of anatomy and laid back teaching style. You know you are learning from a master when they make it look easy and crack jokes, which is exactly what George did. I highly recommend attending a course where he is teaching.

Reactions: 1 users
I had the opportunity to hang out with George this last weekend in Park City, Utah where he taught a small group ultrasound examination and injection techniques of the shoulder and knee and I can honestly say that I was very impressed with his knowledge of anatomy and laid back teaching style. You know you are learning from a master when they make it look easy and crack jokes, which is exactly what George did. I highly recommend attending a course where he is teaching.
Nice.

I'll have to go to one of his courses sometime.

I recently attended George's ultrasound course in Pasadena, CA. He's a great guy. I was impressed with how updated he is on current literature on regenerative medicine. Ultrasound techniques were presented in an easy to understand and clear format. There was a lot of hands on time to scan models. Overall it was a very valuable experience that I would recommend.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently attended George's ultrasound course in Pasadena, CA. He's a great guy. I was impressed with how updated he is on current literature on regenerative medicine. Ultrasound techniques were presented in an easy to understand and clear format. There was a lot of hands on time to scan models. Overall it was a very valuable experience that I would recommend.

He is the section editor for RegMed for a pain journal. :)

I'm lucky to be able to call George a friend. Will be hanging out with him in March for his Park City PRP course.

watch out, you will be involved in a selfie if you meet George.

A lot of people using US now with different valued cpt codes.
With the Internet, wondering if insurance companies and CMS will wise up to the laws of economics :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm lucky to be able to call George a friend. Will be hanging out with him in March for his Park City PRP course.

Curious......is there data showing PRP beats placebo or only overrides a pain stimulus for an acute period of time? I have only anecdotal evidence of it not working but n=1 and I assume you have seen better data and outcomes as an attending reviewing heavy papers. I don't know pubs off hand but had an ortho dismiss it.

Last edited:

He will also eat your lobster so hold it close to your bib.

Curious......is there data showing PRP beats placebo or only overrides a pain stimulus for an acute period of time? I have only anecdotal evidence of it not working but n=1 and I assume you have seen better data and outcomes as an attending reviewing heavy papers. I don't know pubs off hand but had an ortho dismiss it.

orthos dismiss it until they start doing it

There's alot of research out there....i dont have a favorite. You have to search.

Cochran review is a start for u...
Evidence is pretty mixed basically.
Protocols r all over the place so hard to even make comparisons...everyone using different kits for different indications etc.

Hopefully one day stem cells will be really up to par.

Can't wait for that day.