A new idea!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimdo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever notice that whenever you read these posts people tell you that theyve applied to umpteen thousand "DO schools" or a zillion "MD schools?" What does everyone think about starting a brand new trend by saying "I applied to x number of schools". Why do we have to differentiate which type of schools we applied to all of the time? I mean like when someone posts about a bad MCAT score or something. Do we really need to say "Is it OK that I have a score of x and oh...by the way, I applied to 12 DO schools." Maybe just semantics, but I think it gets tedious after awhile. Does it really matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, unless you're a die hard individual unwilling to accept that both are equally valid.

The fact of the matter is that many people still use DO schools as backup schools. Later, they may claim that they wanted to go DO from the beginning, or that holistic medicine fit them better, or whatever. But if someone has decided that only one of the philosophies will suit them, they won't apply to both.

My story: I wanted to be a doctor. I didn't care if it was MD or DO. DOs claimed they were the same as MD, so I saw no problem applying. 15 allopathic schools, 5 osteopathic. Except for my state school, none of the allopathic schools showed interest in me. All of the osteopathic schools showed interest. Draw your own conclusions on that one. Bottom line is that at this point, it is inconsequential to my future as a professional or my own state of happiness. I am going to be a DO. More importantly, I'm going to be a physician.