a newbie with some newbie questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is LOR?

what is adcom?

I know that in-state medical schools are easier to get into, is that the case for CA though?

Is there any disadvantages/advantages in applying to med school in junior or soph year?

Thanks!! This site is awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

LOR = letter of recommendation
adcom = admissions committee
CA schools are damn near impossible to get into, ask any cali resident
Why would you apply to med school soph year? Most schools say that you can apply once you have 90 credits, but i think on average, it's something like 1 out of 300 or something. Most people apply the summer after junior year. You'll graduate with a degree, adn you'll have time to gain more experience.

Letter of Recommendation
Admissions Committee
Depends on the school
You can't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
*evil laughter* weelllcoome to SDN!!!

nemzy said:
what is LOR?

Letter Of Recommendation - you will need 4-5 of these to apply to med school

nemzy said:
what is adcom?

Admission committee (of medical schools if you in here)

nemzy said:
I know that in-state medical schools are easier to get into, is that the case for CA though?

I'll let someone from cali answer that.

nemzy said:
Is there any disadvantages/advantages in applying to med school in junior or soph year?

typically people apply between their junior and senior year (unless you are graduating early). you need to have a BA/S in order to start med school i believe.

nemzy said:
what is LOR?

what is adcom?

LOR = letter of reccommendation

It is also true for CA, even though CA schools are harder to get into than most other state schools.

Biggest disadvantage is that you have a limited amount of material on your academic record. Besides, I don't even think applying that early is even possible in the regular application process. Some schools have early admissions programs, but these usually take place even earlier than soph/junior year.

Wow, 2 different people responded to this while I was writing my response. Sry for the repeat.

nemzy said:
what is LOR?

what is adcom?

1.) letter of recommendation
2.) admissions committee
3.) not really, too much competition in CA
4.) no disadvantage applying junior year, but you apply the year before you plan to start and you are expected to complete any degree programs you are enrolled in before you matriculate, so if you apply soph year you would have to be able to finish your degree before starting the next fall--not a likely scenario.

nemzy said:
what is LOR?

what is adcom?

Welcome :)
LOR = letter of recommendation

I don't know anything about the Cal. schools.

The disadvantages I can see to applying to med school in soph year are mainly those resulting from lack of experience - not experience in terms of clinical or research - but just life experience in general. I can see applying prior to senior year as a big disadvantage - or at least something not as desireable as older applicants who have experienced more. Then again, there are also programs out there where you apply soph year and then are guaranteed to go right to med school from college...so obviously for those programs applying early is not just okay, but required. I can't remember off the top of my head the term for those programs ("early acceptance" maybe?) or where they're offered - for some reason Mt.Sinai is coming to mind. Just something you might want to look into.

good luck :luck:

whats the point of answering his questions when the first reply answered most of em?

nemzy said:

So yeah, you've probably got more answers than you needed, but I wanted to emphasize that California state schools are harder to get into than most privates. California is the worst state to be from for medical school acceptances.

Mistress S said:
1.) letter of recommendation
2.) admissions committee
3.) not really, too much competition in CA
4.) no disadvantage applying junior year, but you apply the year before you plan to start and you are expected to complete any degree programs you are enrolled in before you matriculate, so if you apply soph year you would have to be able to finish your degree before starting the next fall--not a likely scenario.

about #4, I thought it was that you needed to have minimum 90 credits from an UG uni to matriculate, although it is really unlikely that anybody who applys that way gets accepted. I didnt't hink you had to actually finish the degree. Although most schools want the degree.

musiclink213 said:
about #4, I thought it was that you needed to have minimum 90 credits from an UG uni to matriculate, although it is really unlikely that anybody who applys that way gets accepted. I didnt't hink you had to actually finish the degree. Although most schools want the degree.

Generally you are expected to finish your degree. There are exceptions, but it would not be wise to apply expecting to be one of those exceptions. My impression is that schools frown on applicants leaving a degree program--bachelor's, master's or PhD--to go to med school without completing the degree. I think it is easier to get around this with grad schools than without even completing your undergrad degree. Since the vast majority of applicants have at least a BA or BS, , it would certainly be difficult to be a competitive applicant without this.