A nomanclature question- Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

Ocean5

Hi every one.

There is a nomanclature question on lesson one, Ochem Kaplan book.

The nomanclature is 3-(5- oxohexyl)cyclohexanone.

The shape is a cyclohexanone attached to a n-hexanon.

I want to know why do you call the name that we call, which is 3-(5- oxohexyl)cyclohexanone?

I know the queston is primitive. However, I couldn't come up with a good reason. Could some one please explain? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

its all about the rules. the ring has more priority than a ketone so the ketone must be named 1st.

I dont understand your question.....you want to know why it is oxohexyl?

I want to know why do we name it that way. They are two ketones (attache to eachother ofcourse). One cyclo and one stright. And both have 6 C (are hex). But when you draw the figure it is just strange to all it 3- (5-.....?

Could some one tell me how did we use the rules in this case?

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured the reason. So disregard the post. Thanks.
Hello there,

I have the exact same question that u asked here. I have not yet figured out why this compound has been named that way. If possible, would u explain to me why this compound was named as so?

Thanks!

This took me awhile, but I found an answer. So, the cyclohexanone takes precedence over the ketone and will be connected at the 1-C of the hexane chain. The 3- is representing the position of the ketone in the cyclohexane (since it is 3 carbons away from where it is connected to the alkane chain). Then, the (5-oxohexyl) is just describing the location of the ketone on the parent chain, BUT since the carbon chain is technically a substituent of the ring we have to make sure that there is the -yl suffix included. So, when we put it all together we have 3-(5-oxohexyl) cyclohexanone. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
chris is correct, but I'll try to put it in different words:
3-(5- oxohexyl)-cyclohexanone
cyclohexanone is the parent with the carbonyl carbon taking the C1 position.
The substituent 5-oxohexyl is on C3 of the parent structure.
The substituent itself is numbered outward from the ring so that puts the carbonyl carbon on C5 of the substituent and it's given the name -oxo- when it's present as a substituent.
The substituent name 5-oxohexyl is put in parentheses because it is a complex substituent (you can think of it like as having a parent structure of its own with its own substituents)