A non-traditional non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted634258

Dear forum members,

I didn't know whether to put this in the non-traditional thread or the post bacc thread, so I apologize in advance.

I am an American citizen who holds foreign degrees and wants to return to the US to pursue dentistry. I e-mailed loads of different post bacc-programs and I have a slight preference for Hunter College (cheap and I am a New York resident) but there are some dental schools that require an American (or Canadian) bachelor's degree.

Seen as I have no science background, never took college math or English, no science classes, let alone upper division, will a second bachelor's degree take much longer than a post bacc and is it worth it for me to do it?

I appreciate any response.

Thanks,

J.

Members don't see this ad.

Some dental schools don't require a bachelor's degree, but it's still recommended that you get one. A post-bac program won't net you a bachelor's degree if you're referring to formal ones that let you take pre-reqs. If some of your credits can transfer over allowing you to not take any of the general university requirement classes then I'd say go for the bachelors as it would then take a max of 2 years to get your bahelors. If none of the credits from your foreign degree transfer over to a degree in the states then you're looking at 3-4 years to get your bachelors. If I were you I'd go talk to an advisor at your local uni and see what they have to say.

Thanks! Does credit transfer mean that the grades during my first degree get averaged into the second one? Or is the coursework I complete at the second bachelor's institution looked at separately?

Thanks! Does credit transfer mean that the grades during my first degree get averaged into the second one? Or is the coursework I complete at the second bachelor's institution looked at separately?

It means you don't have to take the class again at the university. If you took a psychology class in your foreign degree, then that might apply for the basic general university requirements like social science credits or w/e for the school you are looking to. It differs by the school.