A Note on Audiology Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cochlear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a time when your friends and/or family found out for the first time that you've entered or plan on entering a doctoral program in audiology and they exclaim things like, "Oh how wonderful, I bet you'll be making tons of money!"

Well guys, there's a reason people generally act impressed. You are going to become a doctor. No, not a medical doctor, but a doctor nonetheless. Here's my problem, and forgive me in advance because this may get slightly "ranty" and I mean no disrespect to our elder members, but I'm tired of hearing people on this board complain about low salaries or how people "aren't becoming audiologists for the money blah blah blah"

This kind of talk will only lead to 3 things:
#1 a self-fullfilling prophecy of low pay and little respect
#2 a lack of respect for yourself and your own future potential
#3 a lack of respect for the field and those who have pushed for advancement before you.

I understand we're not medical doctors and/or world-class surgeons but why can't we start showing a little respect for our own AuD and allow the rest to follow? In my humble opinion, many people on this board are only bringing down our field when they accept audiology jobs that pay less than 50k a year. Why accept such low standards? Why go to grad school? You could make that much managing your local grocery store. "Well," you may say, "I'm doing this for a love of audiology and a passion for helping the hearing impaired, not the money." This is awesome, seriously, and definitely the correct attitude! But understand when you accept a low-paying job you're not only doing a disservice to the field as a whole but also your fellow audiologists. This is not advancing the marketability of the AuD, it's only setting us back further. Yes, of course we're not doing this solely for the money, but there is nothing wrong with expecting compensation commensurate with our level of education.

Seriously, if you're not satisfied with the pay in your area, MOVE ELSEWHERE! A quick search on the internet (salary.com) revealed audiologist salaries in my area averaging at 72k, far and above some of these 35-45k jobs I'm seeing people post about. See my other post about opportunities within surgical neurophysiology, look into private practice ownership, move to better paying locations. Do something! We're never going to break away from the old school mentality of us being masters degree techs if we don't start respecting ourselves and our chosen field.

I mean this in the best possible way, but let's get our act together everyone and start expecting a bit more of ourselves. Let's truly own this field; I know you didn't work your butts off to get through 4 years of grad school (and piles of student loans) for nothing.

End of rant.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ITA!!! I feel that sometimes you ask a question about salary and people get moody and often say "you shouldn't do it for the money." I mean, really? If money was what was most important I would have definitely pursued another field. I love Audiology but I do often see jobs for like $45,000 and wonder...why? Someone even said expecting $50,000 right out of school is a reach :eek:! That really shocked me because I have a cousin that graduated from an SLP program a year ago and started at $56,000 in Indiana. It's kind of disappointing to know SLP's have less school and come out making the same, or even more :(.

These data are from 2008, but it should give you an idea of the variance in salary.

xek7is.jpg

n3vpzs.png

and sorry ladies:
24wymnq.png

Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone for the comments! This is such a small field, and if everyone on this board would seriously decide they're not going to settle for such ridiculously low-salaries, I think we'd honestly see an impact on the overall market. Remember, the implementation of the AuD is supposed to push us forward, not backward!

I wanted to add the fact that last year I made 46k as someone with only a BA degree working in a souless, cubicle job. Anyone on this board considering taking an audiology job that pays less than or equal to that...SHAME on you, shame on you!

ITA!!! I feel that sometimes you ask a question about salary and people get moody and often say "you shouldn't do it for the money." I mean, really? If money was what was most important I would have definitely pursued another field. I love Audiology but I do often see jobs for like $45,000 and wonder...why? Someone even said expecting $50,000 right out of school is a reach :eek:! That really shocked me because I have a cousin that graduated from an SLP program a year ago and started at $56,000 in Indiana. It's kind of disappointing to know SLP's have less school and come out making the same, or even more :(.
Ignore these people. At some point, they have or will be making the same complaints too. You have every right to ask for what you deserve. The reason for the low salaries is exactly that; nobody is asking for what they deserve. There is a lot that could be accomplished with just having unity in the field, and I'm not just talking about our salaries. DrumHead, thanks for the stats. Boys rule, girls drool! :D

There's another facet to this discussion. Specifically, it relates to remibursement and that ENT's won't pay you more just because you have Dr. in front of your name. Especially with this looming healthcare reform, audiologists services aren't big money makers outside of HA sales. The challenge for all Au.D.s is creating value in our services and generating more income for ourselves or those we work under (ENT's ect). Unfortunately, we're restricted by what we can bill for and what we can't (eg. cerument management).

You have to remember that this degree is relatively new and that clinicians with MS degrees have had roughly the same scope of practice for the past 15-20 years. The Au.D. has not added more billable services.

Bottom line____________increase revenue, increase salary. This is our challenge.

...ENT's won't pay you more just because you have Dr. in front of your name...

Yet another reason why we need to either own or work at audiologist-owned private practices (or branch out into different specialties like IOM)and try to avoid the old model as much as possible. There are a few successful practices in my region that focus mainly on vestibular/balance services, not just hearing aids. They rely on innovative marketing and quality service and are making a killing.

http://www.dizziland.com/

Also, why not go and support the American Academy of Audiology's Advocacy efforts? I think Dustbug may have touched on this in another thread already, but there are pre-written letters ready to go out to your legislative reps, all you have to do is click a few buttons.

http://capwiz.com/audiology/home/

We have to do these sorts of things to strengthen our field, look what advocacy effots have done for CRNAs (nurse anesthetists)! They have one of the most powerful lobbying groups in the country and are absolutely reaping the benefits--120-200k salaries and a powerful legislative voice. We're not going to get anywhere sitting on our hands and accepting 45k salaries working under Dr. Joe Blow, ENT.

Wow, the gender wage gap is absolutely shocking. :mad:

Great post! Also thanks for posting those charts! We are the future of this field and every one of us need to be strong advocates because there are so few of us! And yeah... that gender gap is terrible

A professor of mine once told me that the gender-wage gap may be partially due to education level differences. She said that historically, men are more likely to pursue PhD-level education than women, who may elect to end with a Master's or AuD degree. Since salary is often based on education and qualification, she reasoned that that could be one reason for the gap.

I'm skeptical, but I'd like to believe that the gap isn't solely the result of gender inequality in the workplace. Either way, it's unacceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
A professor of mine once told me that the gender-wage gap may be partially due to education level differences. She said that historically, men are more likely to pursue PhD-level education than women, who may elect to end with a Master's or AuD degree. Since salary is often based on education and qualification, she reasoned that that could be one reason for the gap.

I'm skeptical, but I'd like to believe that the gap isn't solely the result of gender inequality in the workplace. Either way, it's unacceptable.

Women also take more time off work (pregnancy, etc.).

I don't see how the PhD is much better than the AuD these days. Both serve different purposes. Unless you want to work in research or possibly certain teaching jobs, the PhD won't really serve you any better than the AuD in a clinical environment.

Okay, okay so statistically speaking there's more money to be made with the PhD. Might this have to do with the likelihood that PhD holding audiologists have simply been out in the field longer?

This helps explain the gender wage gap:

"Although these numbers indicate a likely gender disparity, they are tempered slightly when cross examining gender with years of experience and professional title. Nearly 52 percent of male audiologists claimed to have been practicing for more than 31 years, as opposed to just 16 percent of female audiologists; and less than 6 percent of men polled reported experience of less than 5 years, while more than 15 percent of women did. In addition, 54 percent of men claimed to be an owner/partner or manger, while just 30 percent of women did."

http://audiology.advanceweb.com/Article/ADVANCE-2009-Salary-Survey.aspx

"Although these numbers indicate a likely gender disparity, they are tempered slightly when cross examining gender with years of experience and professional title. Nearly 52 percent of male audiologists claimed to have been practicing for more than 31 years, as opposed to just 16 percent of female audiologists; and less than 6 percent of men polled reported experience of less than 5 years, while more than 15 percent of women did. In addition, 54 percent of men claimed to be an owner/partner or manger, while just 30 percent of women did."

http://audiology.advanceweb.com/Article/ADVANCE-2009-Salary-Survey.aspx

Thanks for finding that, Cochlear! I love how everyone cites their sources here. I read DeafDude's blog yesterday and just about imploded. No citations and a LOT of strong claims.

Anyway, I understand and sympathize with your comment about how (logically) AuD and PhD should be comparable. After all, they require the same number of years to complete. I think any disparity is probably due to:

1. The AuD degree is still very new (2012 is the first year it's required for ASHA, right?).
2. The AuD and the PhD are very different in that the AuD is clinical and the PhD is... well... philosphical? The coursework is more research-based and writing-based. Were I hiring a new professor at my university, I would definitely want the PhD. In a clinic setting, I'd want the AuD, but research and administration positions make more, as your charts suggested.

It's definitely not the only reason, but I suspect it could be a contributing factor. Jokes on the world, though! I'll never marry. ;)

No problem, what kind of grad students would we be if we didn't cite our sources?! I have to admit that I found it somewhat troubling to read that 1/3 of the sampled audiologists make less than 61k a year! And that percentage jumps to nearly 50% making less than 61k/yr when you sample audiologists who have been in the field less than 10 years. Not good for our profession, not good at all. As others and I have mentioned, this needs to change.

Ask for the salary you think you deserve, not the one that is automatically given you. Here's another reason why men just simply make more money:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/TakeControlOfYourLife/story?id=3074877&page=1

Ask for the salary you think you deserve, not the one that is automatically given you. Here's another reason why men just simply make more money:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/TakeControlOfYourLife/story?id=3074877&page=1

This is particularly troubling:
"No employer has an obligation to whisper in the woman's ear, "Hey, you know, you just lost out on more money because you didn't speak up." If she accepts the salary offered, so be it. But the consequences of failing to negotiate a first salary can lead women to lose more than $500,000 by age 60."

But so true. Even now, I can see myself accepting the first offer for a position. I can only hope the offer will be made in writing, because I'm more timid than a scared kitten when it comes to face-to-face negotiations.

But so true. Even now, I can see myself accepting the first offer for a position. I can only hope the offer will be made in writing, because I'm more timid than a scared kitten when it comes to face-to-face negotiations.

Yeah this may be the case right now, but you'll develop more confidence as you progress through grad school.

I love this discussion!

I am in the 4th year of my AuD. I have my first interview Dec 6th of this year. Pretty nervous, but confident that it is a great fit for me! A friend of mine in the past applied for the same job, and there is word that they discuss benefits, and possibly salary. I am not greedy, but I have a TON of loans...I need to be able to afford those and...life!

It is a well-known ENT practice that is doing very well. In the past someone has asked for 90k-100k to start (with experience of course). I wonder how much I should ask? Is 60k too much coming right out of school? Of course it depends on region, cost of living, etc. VT is not a cheap place to live, but it is also no Cali!

I need to know what I am worth!

PS: thanks for the tables above. very interesting. i have heard that taking time off to have children does affect a woman's salary...

Yet another reason why we need to either own or work at audiologist-owned private practices (or branch out into different specialties like IOM)and try to avoid the old model as much as possible. There are a few successful practices in my region that focus mainly on vestibular/balance services, not just hearing aids. They rely on innovative marketing and quality service and are making a killing.

http://www.dizziland.com/

Personally, I would hate hate hate to work in a private practice or own one. And I have had the experience of working with 3 ENTs at their practice and the ENTs would ask us our opinion on patients and valued our input. I am not saying that money wise it is the best move but I felt a lot of respect from the ENTs and I would work for them again. I think it is important not to generalize because there are some very good physicians out there that will respect an AuD and pay them adequately. Just my opinion.

We all can agree our profession needs paid more for the education required but you also have to look at this from a purely logical and business aspect. Remove your emotions from it for a second and step back and take a look.

1. We have no more rights, responsibilities, or better reimbursement by having an AuD over a masters. Why would I as a business person pay someone more money because of a title?

2. We do not have direct access. We still need referrals from physicians for Medicare patients to see us. Several private insurance companies also still require primary care physician referrals before they will pick up the tab for audiological testing. So we are still not autonomous when it comes to diagnostics.

3. We are still doing a job where the bulk of our money to be made can be performed by someone with a high school diploma and minimal training. In most states a hearing aid dealer has all the same rights as a person with an AuD. So if a place of business is losing a lot of potential customers to hearing aid dealers then it keeps the pay low.

4. We have a lot of dead weight in our profession. We have several members of our profession who are happy being treated as a technician and taking a low paying job with flexible hours. So this tends to de-value what we are worth as a profession.

Now I don't want to sound all doom and gloom, but you have an idealistic approach to things, which is not a bad thing. Your attitude is what we need a lot more of in this field. I had the same attitude in graduate school. However ideology doesn't pay the bills or the loans. You can negotiate your salary (and I wouldn't accept the first thing you are offered, I'd re-negotiate. Know what you're worth), but have some realistic expectations. You can think you deserve to make 70k right out of the gate with no experience, but if you demand that then odds are you will get a "thanks for coming in for the interview, we will let you know" and you won't get the job.

I re-negotiated my salary and didn't take the first offer my current job gave me. I also kept track of how much profit I was generating for my area and compared it to others. I attempted to have my salary increased since i was making all the money. I'm still waiting on a response from my employer. Odds are if I don't get what I feel is right then I will eventually move on once I gain more experience and will take a higher paying job elsewhere.

I guess my point is this: know what you're worth, but also know realistically what your worth. Look at the market trends for the area you are applying for. Also be honest with your talent and expertise level. I was in the top of my class and had a much more medically trained background and a huge knowledge base of the business side of audiology. This put me at a better place compared to others and it was shown time and time again in interviews. Out of the 6 interviews I went through while in my 4th year I was offered a job at all 6 places.