A Nurse may soon be your Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinesux

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"28 states are considering expanding the authority of nurse practitioners"

"And if they hold a doctorate, they want to be called "Doctor."

"Medicare, which sets the pace for payments by private insurance, pays nurse practitioners 85 percent of what it pays doctors"

"The health care overhaul law gave nurse midwives, a type of advanced practice nurse, a Medicare raise to 100 percent of what obstetrician-gynecologists make — and that may be just the beginning."

"The American Nurses Association hopes the 100 percent Medicare parity for nurse midwives will be extended to other nurses with advanced degrees."

"I don't think patients are ever confused. People are not stupid," said Linda Roemer, a nurse practitioner in Sedona, Ariz., who uses "Dr. Roemer" as part of her e-mail address.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100413/ap_on_he_me/us_med_dr_nurse

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone see how we doctors have shot ourselves in legs... dont expand medical schools, dont increase residency slots.. let be doctor shortages so doctor salaries go up or umm nurses start to take over as doctors....
this is all our doing.. we need to fight by increasing our ranks.. increasing more residency spots.. there is no reason why each year thousands go unmatched while nurses get to play the doctor

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, because we could always use two threads about the same subject. :rolleyes:

"I don't think patients are ever confused. People are not stupid," said Linda Roemer, a nurse practitioner in Sedona, Ariz., who uses "Dr. Roemer" as part of her e-mail address.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100413/ap_on_he_me/us_med_dr_nurse

I would beg to differ with that statement...[/QUOTE]

Wow, I hope when I go to see my doctor for a checkup that he isn't thinking I'm an idiot. It is amazing how much elitism and self-importance I'm seeing from some on this forum. I do not know what your mommy told you but being an MD does not make you the be all, end all. It would be comical to see MDs last one day without the rest of the Allied Health staff to help out.

Wow, I hope when I go to see my doctor for a checkup that he isn't thinking I'm an idiot. It is amazing how much elitism and self-importance I'm seeing from some on this forum. I do not know what your mommy told you but being an MD does not make you the be all, end all. It would be comical to see MDs last one day without the rest of the Allied Health staff to help out.

It really depends on why you're there and how you act. I see many patients every day who are idiots. I don't know about elitism and self-importance but I know I've never lost something in my rectum or called an ambulance because I wanted some of those non-skid socks they have in the hospital. My point is that the label of idiot is not handed down arbitrarily. It is well earned.

As this relates to the OP's issue, I can assure everyone that many patients lack the sophistication to understand who is who on the healthcare team under the best of circumstances, let alone when a DNP is being actively deceptive. An excellent example is when a patient assumes their physician is a nurse because she’s a woman and the vending machine repairman is the doctor because he’s a man. If you’ve never seen that one before you’ve never worked in healthcare.

An excellent example is when a patient assumes their physician is a nurse because she’s a woman and the vending machine repairman is the doctor because he’s a man. If you’ve never seen that one before you’ve never worked in healthcare.

Ok, the female doctor issue, I'll give you that. (Although i've noticed that females who wear long lab coats are less likely to be confused with nurses) but I can honestly say I've never saw the instance of a vendor repairman being confused with a doctor...honestly.