steelersfan1243

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys my Fitness and Weightlifting Club is trying to host a nutritional debate this upcoming semester among our campus's nutritionist and our director of health advancement and prevention strategist. Do you guys have any tips on how to make this event as successful as possible? What kind of questions to say, what kind of outline of events? I am having trouble brainstorming this and just need some ideas to thrown out. Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hmm. I wouldn't know the first thing about organizing such an event, but y'all should talk about juicing. From personal experience I can tell you that it is the single best way to ingest micronutrients and attain a higher level of health. By becoming a vegetarian and cutting all animal fat from my diet and, most importantly juicing on a daily basis, I lost 55 pounds over the course of about 4 months. I don't know if y'all are going to touch on this or not, but it's awesome. Sorry if I'm being unhelpful...... Godspeed!

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
Make a list of different types of diets and put down their pros and cons.
This link has useful articles to bring up.
http://news.discovery.com/human/tags/nutrition.htm
Have some small lunch platters for people to try and have a sheet of paper with their nutritional facts.

Nov 30, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Make a list of different types of diets and put down their pros and cons.
This link has useful articles to bring up.
http://news.discovery.com/human/tags/nutrition.htm
Have some small lunch platters for people could try and have a sheet of paper with their nutritional facts.
+1 Definitely discuss the current fad diets. It may be hard but don't try to show a bias towards one or the other. Nutrition is such a meek science and you will run into cutthroats. Just try to get the nutritionist and director of health advancement to share a few anecdotes on what they have seen work. Congrats on organizing this event!

OP
S

steelersfan1243

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys really appreciate all the help
Small (free) samples of easy-to-prepare, rarely previously-tried healthy foods are a good draw. Tiny dixie cups work well for this.
This is a great idea, getting people to attend the event was an issue we knew we were going to have. Any ideas of what we can serve specifically? Is something such as a sample of naked juice sufficient? We can allot $75 toward this and I am sure we can get sponsors to provide more. We could even give a bottle of naked juice to be honest. (I say naked juice just as an example, I really do not believe there are any health benefits unique to naked juice)

Also thanks for all the topic ideas guys. We know we want to talk about protein intake, how much, when, since our club is mostly composed of lifters. Fad Diets sounds like a great idea, just have to run these topics by our panelists to see if they're knowledgeable to talk about it.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
Hey guys really appreciate all the help

This is a great idea, getting people to attend the event was an issue we knew we were going to have. Any ideas of what we can serve specifically? Is something such as a sample of naked juice sufficient? We can allot $75 toward this and I am sure we can get sponsors to provide more. We could even give a bottle of naked juice to be honest. (I say naked juice just as an example, I really do not believe there are any health benefits unique to naked juice)

Also thanks for all the topic ideas guys. We know we want to talk about protein intake, how much, when, since our club is mostly composed of lifters. Fad Diets sounds like a great idea, just have to run these topics by our panelists to see if they're knowledgeable to talk about it.
This can be an expensive option, but they have nutritional stores (My Fit Foods) where you can buy pre-made dishes and they already come with their nutritional facts. I know there is other companies out there who provide pre-made healthy meals, I just can't recall their names at the moment.
Maybe look into this link for options?
http://greatist.com/health/companies-healthy-home-cooking

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
This is a great idea, getting people to attend the event was an issue we knew we were going to have. Any ideas of what we can serve specifically?
Your speakers would be a good resource for suggestions. At the last similar campus event I attended, I recall a concoction of a high fiber cereal, slivered almonds, and dried cranberries. Liquid samples I'd consider iffy unless folks can get their own from a container spigot, due to potential mess in a crowd.

Nutritional stores, if they are permitted to display their wares on campus, might provide free samples of protein bars, etc.

Nov 30, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Since your audience will be mostly composed of collegiate lifters, supplementation would spark their interests for sure. Every lifter I have ran in to always rants about the latest preworkout supp they've tried or the best whey protein. Try and speak about this category if you can. Free samples of supplements to give out would definitely appeal too! .

OP
S

steelersfan1243

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Once again guys thanks for the help, all your advice is appreciated. We are having difficulty at the moment outlining the event. Some of you said you attended previous events such as this, may I ask what the outline of the event was like? Was it truly a debate with points given? We were thinking it more end up being a panel, a question is asked, and our three speakers weigh their thoughts on them. However, we want this to be as entertaining as possible, so anyway to spruce this up? Have the audience have a Q and A at the end, but anything else so our audience enjoys it as well and are engaged?