1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

A.P. Credit Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drew's your daddy, Feb 25, 2002.

1. drew's your daddy

drew's your daddy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was given waivers for Bio 1 and 2 as well as lab 1. my advisor told me that med schools like to see actual credit and that i should enroll and take all of these classes again. i was planning on taking them again but it would be too time consuming to take bio lab with orgo lab. does it really matter if i only have one semester of lab with a waiver in the other? i know it is a requirement but are they really that picky?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you can take more advanced credit in biology too, not just those classes over again which you already have ap credit for. thats what i did

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

yes, looks MUCH better to take the harder UD bio classes!

5. drew's your daddy

drew's your daddy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i dont have credit...i have waivers. i can get out of the class but i have to take another class to make up the credit that counts towards my degree. i am planning to take physiology and micro-bio in later years. i was just wondering if the one lab matters a whole lot. if not, i am going to take a university required humanities class to make up the credit.

6. Skye04

Skye04 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

On a related note... for med schools that require two terms of calculus, if one has 1 credit (& advanced placement) from a high-school AP class and a 2nd credit from a college upper-level honors calc class, would this satisfy the two term requirement? Would I REALLY need to go through another term of calculus (ugh)? Thanks :)

7. kristyTSU

kristyTSU Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I came into college with 30 hours of AP credit, including 4 hours of physics and 10 of calculus. When I was applying to schools last summer, I called each school to verify if AP credit would be accepted...and almost everyone said that it would be as long as the class I received credit for was listed on the official college transcript. A few schools did say that AP would not be accepted at all, that all pre-reqs had to be taken at an accredited university. It depends on the medical school. I ended up applying only to those schools that would accept my AP credit, since I didn't want to retake all those classes!

8. TSpoon

TSpoon Member
    7+ Year Member

I started college with 40+ hours of credit from AP (took 5 classes), and every school that I have been accepted to had no problem with the credit.

I think that your best bet would be to look at the MSAR and contact the schools.

9. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's very unusual that your school doesn't give you "credit" for AP. How annoying!

I am not sure what will happen in your case because most schools require Bio I and II and Labs. If you didn't get college "credit" for them I wonder if they will still count if you just got a "waiver". Definately clear this up again with your advisor, check the MSAR, and even call a couple of schools enquiring about this.

I got 8 "credits" for AP Bio I and lab and Bio II and lab at my college. All the med schools I have applied to had no problem with it. This situation is different than your though from what I can see. Good luck!

10. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member