A.P. Credit Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drew's your daddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was given waivers for Bio 1 and 2 as well as lab 1. my advisor told me that med schools like to see actual credit and that i should enroll and take all of these classes again. i was planning on taking them again but it would be too time consuming to take bio lab with orgo lab. does it really matter if i only have one semester of lab with a waiver in the other? i know it is a requirement but are they really that picky?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you can take more advanced credit in biology too, not just those classes over again which you already have ap credit for. thats what i did

yes, looks MUCH better to take the harder UD bio classes!

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont have credit...i have waivers. i can get out of the class but i have to take another class to make up the credit that counts towards my degree. i am planning to take physiology and micro-bio in later years. i was just wondering if the one lab matters a whole lot. if not, i am going to take a university required humanities class to make up the credit.

On a related note... for med schools that require two terms of calculus, if one has 1 credit (& advanced placement) from a high-school AP class and a 2nd credit from a college upper-level honors calc class, would this satisfy the two term requirement? Would I REALLY need to go through another term of calculus (ugh)? Thanks :)

I came into college with 30 hours of AP credit, including 4 hours of physics and 10 of calculus. When I was applying to schools last summer, I called each school to verify if AP credit would be accepted...and almost everyone said that it would be as long as the class I received credit for was listed on the official college transcript. A few schools did say that AP would not be accepted at all, that all pre-reqs had to be taken at an accredited university. It depends on the medical school. I ended up applying only to those schools that would accept my AP credit, since I didn't want to retake all those classes!

I started college with 40+ hours of credit from AP (took 5 classes), and every school that I have been accepted to had no problem with the credit.

I think that your best bet would be to look at the MSAR and contact the schools.

That's very unusual that your school doesn't give you "credit" for AP. How annoying!

I am not sure what will happen in your case because most schools require Bio I and II and Labs. If you didn't get college "credit" for them I wonder if they will still count if you just got a "waiver". Definately clear this up again with your advisor, check the MSAR, and even call a couple of schools enquiring about this.

I got 8 "credits" for AP Bio I and lab and Bio II and lab at my college. All the med schools I have applied to had no problem with it. This situation is different than your though from what I can see. Good luck!