Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

A pass/fail question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by onetryfitsbest, Dec 4, 2008.

1. onetryfitsbest

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just weighing pros and cons and would like some help:

- In the middle of application process.
    - Taking biochem (required by some schools)
    - Want to pass/fail it as the semester closes because:
    1. I'll get a B
    2. I want to have a good chance at "summa cum laude" graduation
    3. More relaxed finals week with more time to focus on other finals (which would be good insurance against a bad grade)
    4. I don't need this course to graduate or anything like that
    - The potential issues:
    1. Do schools ever want your "mid year" grades, and if so, would they care?
    2. If a school "requires" biochem, does P/F count? I'd hate to get accepted and then find out I messed this up.

Thoughts?

#1 onetryfitsbest, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. TooMuchResearch

TooMuchResearch i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The schools will only have access to the transcript compiled (and verified) in the AMCAS application, so no, they cannot see your midterm grades. The pass/fail issue has been discussed before. If I recall correctly, it is not advisable to take pre-reqs P/F as schools may not accept them.

3. SiR99

10+ Year Member

You can not take a pre-req pass/fail.

That only applies to classes that they dont care about

4. nabeel76

nabeel76 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think a B in biochem is that bad? Plus if it is recommended at med schools I am sure they would like to see how well you did in the course and if they see a p/f grade they might assume that you were at the C or D range, not the B range, to switch to pass fail. Unless you can withdraw from the course, I would stick with the B personally.

5. Ladholyman

Ladholyman PGY-3
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A B? Goodness I'm taking Biochem right now and you don't know how hard I'm struggling to get a B. (Bombed the midterm)

Man up and get the B. It looks better than a measly "Pass" anyway.

6. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can choose pass/fail this late??? Wow... wish I had that option... If it's required by some schools (and those are the schools you want to attend) they won't accept if it's pass/fail, period. A B is definitely not "bad," and definitely won't make a huge (or even small) impact on your application (summa cum laude is just another way of saying "I have a large GPA"). Taking a non-major, non-science class pass/fail is one thing, but taking a common science class like that pass/fail won't go over well. If you really are that psycho about grades, then do well on the final.

And yes, unless you've been accepted at this point, the schools you have applied to will definitely want to see your fall semester grades.

7. fightinI

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your reasons for going the pass/fail route are not compelling. Just suck it up and plow through. And btw, the day after you graduate (actually, the day after your graduation party) no one will care. And 5 weeks into med school, you won't even remember.