a peculiar beast: der waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derzornhistolog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know when waitlists tend to move and how much? Those with ANY info on specific schools are invited to post whatever dubious rumors they wish. I'm particularly interested to know about Case, AECOM, and MSSM. Thank you SDNers.

Members don't see this ad.

derzornhistolog said:
anyone know when waitlists tend to move and how much? Those with ANY info on specific schools are invited to post whatever dubious rumors they wish. I'm particularly interested to know about Case, AECOM, and MSSM. Thank you SDNers.

Its safe to assume that most waitlist movement will occur around May 15th (usually from a week before to a week after the 15th) since people can only hold one acceptance by then. Admissions office tend to say this time also. In terms of how much movement, that's hard to say. If you look at the number of acceptances vs. total number of seats, it will give you a good idea of whether or not movement will be probable. That info can be found in the US news and world report guide.

Is this true? Don't some schools go ahead and give out twice as many acceptances as they have spots from the get go.

Example: I need to fill a class of 100, I give out 200 acceptances and 500 waitlists. 125 don't take my acceptance, I begin looking at the 500 people on the waitlist.

Like everything else, I assume that it depends on what schools we're talking about. But don't most schools initially give out about twice as many acceptances as their class size and THEN look at the waitlist if there are remaining spots?

Uegis said:
If you look at the number of acceptances vs. total number of seats, it will give you a good idea of whether or not movement will be probable. That info can be found in the US news and world report guide.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump for fixed board

I know certain schools do give out more acceptances, but highly unlikely twice as much as the actual class size. For one, Medical College of Wisconsin does give out almost twice as many acceptances as seats right off the bat. I'm not completely sure about other schools. Usually, during orientation, don't they tell you? I know for several schools I interviewed at, they told us how many usually gets off the waitlist.

Also, a lot of people reserved seats up until the final day to make a decision, so theortecially, a good portion of those seats become open to waitlisters in May. Of course, I'm just citing anecdotal evidence. Not sure if this is really teh case. Best thing to do: call the individual schools you are interested in.

I feel like more schools than you think initially give out twice the acceptances as they have seats, even good schools. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dr. Donkey said:
I feel like more schools than you think initially give out twice the acceptances as they have seats, even good schools. Please correct me if I am wrong.

from what the deans at a number of schools said, this used to be case until a few years ago when cornell totally over-enrolled the class and had to start calling accepted people up begging them to defer a year and offering incentives to do so. as a result, deans are much more conservative when it comes to filling the class. i know that umass is one school where, at any given time, they can not have any more than 100 spots reserved since they can't afford to risk more people matriculating than planned.