A Personal Appeal from a fellow SDNer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc2005

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow SDNers,

This is a personal appeal to all of you who are addicted to this forum as I am. I know this issue has been raised before on this forum, but nothing gets the point across as a personal note of appeal:

I have not been admitted at any medical school and am on a number of waitlists. The waiting has been incredibily stressful as I am sure you can all imagine.

If you have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to a medical school (esspicially in California) already, please...for the Lord, Earth, and everything in between...DO NOT keep six acceptances until May 15.

We're all in this together and I just feel that it would be extremely nice if all of you in a position to make a difference to help a peer. After all, SDN is home to a skewed population of premeds who are often accepted to multiple schools.

Thank you all.

FutureDoc

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDoc2005 said:
Dear fellow SDNers,

This is a personal appeal to all of you who are addicted to this forum as I am. I know this issue has been raised before on this forum, but nothing gets the point across as a personal note of appeal:

I have not been admitted at any medical school and am on a number of waitlists. The waiting has been incredibily stressful as I am sure you can all imagine.

If you have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to a medical school (esspicially in California) already, please...for the Lord, Earth, and everything in between...DO NOT keep six acceptances until May 15.

We're all in this together and I just feel that it would be extremely nice if all of you in a position to make a difference to help a peer. After all, SDN is home to a skewed population of premeds who are often accepted to multiple schools.

Thank you all.

FutureDoc

Ohh...and if any of you are in a similar predicament...please let your voices be heard too!!

I'm not really in any position to say anything as I am only applying this year....but does one week make that big of a difference at this point other than less stress?

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureDoc2005 said:
Ohh...and if any of you are in a similar predicament...please let your voices be heard too!!

Here Here. I am on 6 waitlists, and it gets a little harder each day to even drag myself out of bed in the morning. To those of you clutching onto multiple acceptances for dear life, it is time to give em up! It is our turn to know the joy of having a place to go next year. I want to celebrate with my family. I worked hard just like you guys did, now let me have my chance.

6 waitlists as well...

i'm on 4, but it doesn't really matter to me because it seems like even if people did give up their spots, they aren't going to me :laugh:

Hey, I'm applying this year, so I don't really know for sure, but don't people (lucky people) who have multiple acceptances sometimes hold onto them for Financial Aid reasons?

Just wondering. It can't always be because people can't decide, right? :confused:

yes people do wait for financial aid, but pretty much all financial aid should be in by now

i agree tho, one week wont make a difference

some schools just had their second look weekends this past weekend, so i'm sure some people were waiting for that before finalizing their decisions. i also know that california schools are on a much later timeline with acceptances in general...a friend of mine just got into stanford last friday and is now going there, though she was set on cornell a few days ago. also, financial packages are still being worked out at some schools.

i feel for people on waitlists, but may 15 is fast approaching and things should move quickly! i wish you all the best of luck... :luck:

i finished my withdrawal letter to Wash U today and will be sending it tomorrow. i really hope i've made someone here happy in the next few days. good luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

quantummechanic said:
I'm not really in any position to say anything as I am only applying this year....but does one week make that big of a difference at this point other than less stress?

That's a great question:

This whole process has a domino effect, so one week later (next week vs. this week) means another week past May 15. Why? Because schools have to process these withdrawals and the faster they happen, they sooner the schools can process them before the big wave comes around next Monday.

FutureDoc2005 said:
Dear fellow SDNers,

Thank you all.

FutureDoc

+pity+ +pity+ +pity+

Oh come off it, you can't wait another 6 days? It's less than a week, don't get your knickers all up in a bunch.

crazy_cavalier said:
+pity+ +pity+ +pity+

Oh come off it, you can't wait another 6 days? It's less than a week, don't get your knickers all up in a bunch.

True, but for us, its like 6 years

Members don't see this ad :)
crazy_cavalier said:
+pity+ +pity+ +pity+

the problem is that every day that people hold acceptances that they know they won't use makes it more difficult for others to do things like finding an apartment. Oh and yes - six days makes a GIANT difference when apartment hunting.

Just finished my withdrawl letter(s) for two California schools....sorry it took so long! Best of luck!

fe9.jpg

-mota

rcmustang65 said:
Just finished my withdrawl letter(s) for two California schools....sorry it took so long! Best of luck!
which two?

I think people are waiting for finanacial aid decisions to come through.

NonTradMed said:
I think people are waiting for finanacial aid decisions to come through.

6 waitlists....be kind....if you know youre not going somewhere dont procrastinate...my sanity is at stake.

DrPain said:
6 waitlists....be kind....if you know youre not going somewhere dont procrastinate...my sanity is at stake.
if someone knows for sure they aren't going there, then I agree by all means withdraw. However there are people who are waiting for financial aid, second look weekends or other factors, like the possibility of moving their whole family across the country, or having to say goodbye to a significant other. sometimes these aren't easy decisions, so please have a heart; if someone earned multiple acceptances, allow them time to make the proper decision....

i just sent my withdrawing letters to uci (including primelc program), ucla geffen and drew, columbia, and cornell. hope that will bring good news to some people. good luck everyone. :luck:

Just so you all know, I got my first acceptance to NYMC today, so I will be withdrawing from any of the schools that I am waitlisted at which I favor NYMC over. I know this may not help too much, but hey....

Doglover4fever said:
Just so you all know, I got my first acceptance to NYMC today, so I will be withdrawing from any of the schools that I am waitlisted at which I favor NYMC over. I know this may not help too much, but hey....

thats fantastic. congratulations.

Flopotomist said:
which two?

UCSD and Loma Linda......Still making a last minute decision on UCSF(sorry)

rcmustang65 said:
UCSD and Loma Linda......Still making a last minute decision on UCSF(sorry)

no mames..
You're going to UCSF. give up your other spots.....

I'm giving up my other spots today. It's my resolution.

CerealBox said:
no mames..
You're going to UCSF. give up your other spots.....

I'm giving up my other spots today. It's my resolution.

Ah, Cereal Box, You busted me. Well I still have to see what UCSF and "that other" California school has in terms of Financial Aid for me...... And hey whats wrong with your old Alma Mater!...Show some loyality ;)

rcmustang65 said:
Ah, Cereal Box, You busted me. Well I still have to see what UCSF and "that other" California school has in terms of Financial Aid for me...... And hey whats wrong with your old Alma Mater!...Show some loyality ;)

I left Wisconsin for a reason. CA vs WI ... no competition.
And SF vs cow-tipping town... also a ridiculously easy decision. It's JUST money. come on... :rolleyes:

Quetzal said:
i just sent my withdrawing letters to uci (including primelc program), ucla geffen and drew, columbia, and cornell. hope that will bring good news to some people. good luck everyone. :luck:

Thank you Quetzal!

Let's keep the movement going folks...

...and thank you all for your support

Quetzal said:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Just sent my withdraws to 4 schools this morning. Sorry for keeping them so long, but GOOD LUCK everyone with the waitlists!!!
Take care.

tifa said:
Just sent my withdraws to 4 schools this morning. Sorry for keeping them so long, but GOOD LUCK everyone with the waitlists!!!
Take care.

thanks Tifa!!! you guys are awesome...hopefully you had a couple of UCs in those withdrawals.

FutureDoc2005 said:
thanks Tifa!!! you guys are awesome...hopefully you had a couple of UCs in those withdrawals.

Yup, UC Davis now has more one extra spot.

Funny thing happened today:

I was using the mailbox at my school to send my withdrawal to Wash U. Right when I stuck the envelope halfway in, I had a mini-anxiety attack, thinking to myself, OMG, this is the one choice that i actualy get to make in this process, what if screw up? what do i do? So i pulled the envelope back out and just looked at the mailbox, praying for some sign that i shouldn't withdraw from them.

Nothing happened, so i carefully stuck the envelope in, let it go, closed the sliding lid gently, and let out a sigh of relief.

Then I opened the slot to check to make sure the letter was gone, only to find that it was still there, stuck to something at the end of the slot. was this a sign? in disbelief, I tried to reach in to get it unstuck, but my arm wouldn't fit in far enough to do any good. so, here i was, standing on the side walk, flailing around trying to reach in and grab it, all the meanwhile kicking the damn box for being so stupidly sticky. I slammed the lid a few times to finally hear the letter drop in and suddenly felt a wave of calm wash over me. .... followed by a wave of panic... and then another wave of calm.

and in the end, i find myself incredibly happy about my decision. and i hope i will make some lucky deserving premed happy to go to their dream school in the next week.

just thought i would share that moment of today with you guys. :)

I didn't send physical letters. I hope that emails are okay :)

kirexhana said:

I was using the mailbox at my school to send my withdrawal to Wash U. Right when I stuck the envelope halfway in, I had a mini-anxiety attack, thinking to myself, OMG, this is the one choice that i actualy get to make in this process, what if screw up? what do i do? So i pulled the envelope back out and just looked at the mailbox, praying for some sign that i shouldn't withdraw from them.

Nothing happened, so i carefully stuck the envelope in, let it go, closed the sliding lid gently, and let out a sigh of relief.

Then I opened the slot to check to make sure the letter was gone, only to find that it was still there, stuck to something at the end of the slot. was this a sign? in disbelief, I tried to reach in to get it unstuck, but my arm wouldn't fit in far enough to do any good. so, here i was, standing on the side walk, flailing around trying to reach in and grab it, all the meanwhile kicking the damn box for being so stupidly sticky. I slammed the lid a few times to finally hear the letter drop in and suddenly felt a wave of calm wash over me. .... followed by a wave of panic... and then another wave of calm.

and in the end, i find myself incredibly happy about my decision. and i hope i will make some lucky deserving premed happy to go to their dream school in the next week.

Well, I'm glad you're happy with the decision you made. I remember I did something similar to that when I was deciding between two different undergrad schools.

kirexhana said:

That is exactly how I felt when I was deciding between my last two. I knew which one I wanted, but I just hated giving up the one situation in this process where I had control.

Of course, I'm hoping that your spot at WashU gets passed on to me, but that's a different matter...

Oh, if only the VCU finaid people would actually return my phone calls and *maybe* even give me a package before May 15!

Em1 said:
Oh, if only the VCU finaid people would actually return my phone calls and *maybe* even give me a package before May 15!

Folks, let's keep the ball rolling...