A Pharmacist's Role in Other Parts of the World

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lone Kendoka

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can a pharmacist use his/her abilities to help people in other parts of the world? This may sound like a silly question, but I ask this with the thought that a pharmacist's role is different in other parts of the world and I may not be able to provide the same kind of help I provide in the States. As a doctor, your ability to help people through diagnosis and treatment is prevalent and demanded in all parts of the world. No matter where you go, you would be respected because the people would know that you would be able to help them. The same might not be said about a pharmacist because people in different parts of the world may require a more immediate form of treatment and their role in those parts of the world may not hold the role of a pharmacist in high regards like what is seen here in the States. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can a pharmacist use his/her abilities to help people in other parts of the world? This may sound like a silly question, but I ask this with the thought that a pharmacist's role is different in other parts of the world and I may not be able to provide the same kind of help I provide in the States. As a doctor, your ability to help people through diagnosis and treatment is prevalent and demanded in all parts of the world. No matter where you go, you would be respected because the people would know that you would be able to help them. The same might not be said about a pharmacist because people in different parts of the world may require a more immediate form of treatment and their role in those parts of the world may not hold the role of a pharmacist in high regards like what is seen here in the States. What do you guys think?
I got a couple questions for you:

(1) What COP will you be attending in the fall? (If we're both going to A&M, I don't want to be pissed at you if we're attending the same school and need to work in a group setting.)

(2) What other languages do you know fluently? What languages do you know you need to brush up on?

(3) Do you have a country in mind? Like a home country?

Please, I'm being serious here. Don't mock me for asking questions that YOU might think are ridiculous. I'm trying to help here. You seem to have trouble making a blog, so I'm trying to help you unravel the mess in your brain. You're welcome. :D

Pharmacists w/ Doctors without borders:
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work/field/profiles.cfm?id=2535

Unfortunately, I feel like this organizations view/use of pharmacists and their capabilities is based on the 1970s. While managing the drug supply chain/distribution is an important aspect of pharmacy practice I think that there is more that pharmacists can do beyond this. Perhaps there is a limitation based on local laws?? I doubt that many countries have laws against pharmacists counseling patients on their meds (what is it less important in africa than the U.S for patients to know how to take their meds and what to expect???). I know the U.S. used to have laws against pharmacists telling their patients what was in the bottle but I thought we moved way past that now. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways I'll get off my soap box. I hope this helps. Maybe someone else can add more. I tried looking for similar things I started here was so annoyed by our lack of "scope" despite the intensity of our training that I just gave up looking. Though I did read some interesting articles about some pharmacists in Hati. Maybe you can google thoses.

I got a couple questions for you:

(1) What COP will you be attending in the fall? (If we're both going to A&M, I don't want to be pissed at you if we're attending the same school and need to work in a group setting.)

(2) What other languages do you know fluently? What languages do you know you need to brush up on?

(3) Do you have a country in mind? Like a home country?

Please, I'm being serious here. Don't mock me for asking questions that YOU might think are ridiculous. I'm trying to help here. You seem to have trouble making a blog, so I'm trying to help you unravel the mess in your brain. You're welcome. :D

1) I would be going to UH this fall.

2) I can speak and read a little bit of Japanese, but I know that's not as practical as I would hope for

3) I was looking at the Philippines in particular