A picture is worth a thousand words

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted171991

donald-trump-angela-merkel-g7-summit.jpg

Versus before:

A Single Photo Captured President Trump's Approach to the G7 Summit

Reminds me of the 1930s, big time. War is coming.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Those mtns in the background look like the mtns in my town right now. Except those aren’t clouds that I’m looking at. It’s smoke from wildfires.

Reactions: 1 user
Reminds me of the 1930s, big time. War is coming.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't before?...at least now there's a chance of winning it.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 yr ago I bought a couple kilos of gold and hid it in on a three hundred acre farm bc everyone on here told me the world was ending due to nuclear war with North Korea.

The Japanese gentleman in between Merkel and Abe has the perfect facial expression for this entire circus. He gets it.

War is coming.
War is less predictable than that.

And with who?

North Korea? No way. Trump very much wants to make a deal, and be seen making a deal. The deal might be a bad one, but it won't be a war.

Maybe we'll attack Canada over these dairy tariffs. You ask me, they're up to something, the way they're crowded up along our border. 90% of them with 100 miles of the longest unprotected border in the world, from the Atlantic ocean, to that other one.

Those who are dissatisfied with the president might want to consider that every time they predict the world will burn, and it doesn't, people listen a little bit less.

Midterm elections are three months away. Everybody was so sure it would be an unstoppable blue wave taking over the House and Senate ... sort of looks like not. Trump's approval rating is actually up. I think some of that is wolf-crying fatigue from people in the middle.

Maybe we'll attack Canada over these dairy tariffs. You ask me, they're up to something, the way they're crowded up along our border. 90% of them with 100 miles of the longest unprotected border in the world, from the Atlantic ocean, to that other one.

54° 40' or fight!

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
War is less predictable than that.

And with who?

North Korea? No way. Trump very much wants to make a deal, and be seen making a deal. The deal might be a bad one, but it won't be a war.

Those who are dissatisfied with the president might want to consider that every time they predict the world will burn, and it doesn't, people listen a little bit less.

Midterm elections are three months away. Everybody was so sure it would be an unstoppable blue wave taking over the House and Senate ... sort of looks like not. Trump's approval rating is actually up. I think some of that is wolf-crying fatigue from people in the middle.
It was a metaphor. There are many forms of war (cold, trade, information etc.), not necessarily military conflagrations. All of them have in common that the little people lose on both sides.

I should have said "Winter is coming". Then it would have been more clear what I meant (at least to Game of Thrones watchers).

Regardless, there are two winners only: the Russians and the Chinese. Divide and conquer. This is the way to make Western civilization fall. Nothing more desirable for autocracies around the world. Pax americana is bad for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

2018-06-10_11-45-21.jpg

It's a matter of perspective.

Here they are loving what he is saying.

Don't be fooled by the liberal media.

Russia is struggling with irrelevancy. History will judge Putin harshly, not just for the horrible things he's done, but the way he's running Russia into the ground. They have a dying oil based economy the size of Italy (one of the EU's weak links). They're not the geopolitical rival they used to be and they never will be again. They're trolls mucking with the west, somewhat successfully, but that's not a long term winning strategy.

China ... I've written before a couple times why I'm not concerned about them. They're like cold fusion and strong AI, always a generation away from being relevant. They have regional ambitions that are concerning, and a sizeable economy.

I have to keep a little distance from discussions about our president; you can dig up my pre-election thoughts which are basically unchanged. But if we only look at things that have actually happened, and not the style surrounding them ... the world is mostly OK. So far. I have some reservations about withdrawing from the climate accords, the Iran deal, the trade war posturing and tariffs, the understaffed federal agencies like the state department, etc. I just get anxious about hyperbole and dire predictions. :)

It may sound as a hyperbole, but the 1930s also started with trade wars and tariffs, AFAIK. And when countries get economic problems, political troubles (of the extremist kind) follow. And when crazy extremists get to power, we know all the good things that happen. So I am worried about Western Europe, because, to me, that's where the light of modern civilization shines from.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It may sound as a hyperbole, but the 1930s also started with trade wars and tariffs, AFAIK. And when countries get economic problems, political troubles (of the extremist kind) follow. And when crazy extremists get to power, we know all the good things that happen. So I am worried about Western Europe, because, to me, that's where the light of modern civilization shines from.
So we are supposed to let them put tariffs on our exports but we cannot put on theirs?

What is wrong with a level playing field?

2018-06-10_11-45-21.jpg

It's a matter of perspective.

Here they are loving what he is saying.

Don't be fooled by the liberal media.
Who are "they"? Because, except for the Japanese, I don't see any prime minister.

So we are supposed to let them put tariffs on our exports but we cannot put on theirs?

What is wrong with a level playing field?
It's the tone. You don't behave like this with friends and allies. And don't be so sure everything you heard about tariffs is true. (It appears not to be in the case of Canada, where we have a $8 billion export surplus).

Also, there is this (mathematical) concept of non-competitive cooperative games, aka win-win (versus zero-sum). Zero-sum games are good for one-time deals, because you only get to screw somebody once, they will never do business with you again. For repeat business, you want to use win-win. Also, it's been proven that you actually win more with win-win approaches. (It's what John Nash, of "A Beautiful Mind" fame, got the Nobel for.)

Btw, that's exactly what Merkel was complaining about today, that his mindset is that somebody must be the loser in every transaction, there is no win-win.

I will do the wise thing @pgg suggested, and stop commenting about the president.

Who are "they"? Because, except for the Japanese, I don't see any prime minister.
You don’t also see Trudeau smiling from ear to ear?

That would be “they” prime ministers, plus all the other “they” your biased mind is refusing to acknowledge.

Now I see Trudeau. So what? All is well if it ends well, and the opposite. This one did not end well, just read the world press.

I am not concerned about the initial photograph. I just think it expresses so well what foreign leaders have said, and how the meeting actually ended.

It's the tone. You don't behave like this with friends and allies.
Do you call “friends” people who place unilateral tariffs and whine about starting a trade war when you level the playing field?

We don’t need friends like that.

You don’t also see Trudeau smiling from ear to ear?

That would be “they” prime ministers, plus all the other “they” your biased mind is refusing to acknowledge.
And just to clear up who's biased (regarding the source of your image):

"Zero Hedge is an English-language blog that aggregates financial and political news and presents editorial opinions from original and outside sources. The news portion of the site is written by a group of editors who collectively write under the pseudonym "Tyler Durden" (a character from the novel and film Fight Club).

Zero Hedge's content has been classified as "alt-right",[2] anti-establishment, conspiratorial, and economically pessimistic,[3][4] and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views.[5][6][7][5]'

"Former Zero Hedge writer Colin Lokey said that he was pressured to frame issues in a way he felt was "disingenuous," summarizing its political stances as "Russia=good. Obama=idiot. Bashar al-Assad=benevolent leader. John Kerry=dunce. Vladimir Putin=greatest leader in the history of statecraft." Zero Hedge founder Daniel Ivandjiiski, in response, said that Lokey could write "anything and everything he wanted directly without anyone writing over it."[20] On leaving, Lokey said: "I can't be a 24-hour cheerleader for Hezbollah, Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, and Trump anymore. It's wrong. Period. I know it gets you views now, but it will kill your brand over the long run. This isn't a revolution. It's a joke."[5]"

"Craig Pirrong, professor at the Bauer College of Business writes that "I have frequently written that Zero Hedge has the MO of a Soviet agitprop operation, that it reliably peddles Russian propaganda: my first post on this, almost exactly three years ago, noted the parallels between Zero Hedge and Russia Today."[6][23][7]"

Also:

"In 2009, shortly after the blog was founded, news reports identified Daniel Ivandjiiski, a Bulgarian-born former hedge-fund analyst who was barred from the industry for insider trading by FINRA in 2008, as the founder of the site, and reported that "Durden" was a pseudonym for Ivandjiiski.[9][10][11][5] One contributor, who spoke to New York magazine after an interview was arranged by Ivandjiiski, said that "up to 40" people were permitted to post under the "Durden" name.[9] The website is registered in Bulgaria at the same address as that of Strogo Sekretno, a site run by Ivandjiiski's father, Krassimir Ivandjiiski.[12] Zero Hedge is registered under the name Georgi Georgiev, a business partner of Krassimir Ivandjiiski.[13]

In April 2016, the authors writing as "Durden" on the website were reported by Bloomberg News to be Ivandjiiski, Tim Backshall (a credit derivatives strategist), and Colin Lokey. Lokey, the newest member revealed himself and the other two when he left the site in April 2016. Ivandjiiski confirmed that the three men "had been the only Tyler Durdens on the payroll" since Lokey joined the site in 2015.[5]"

Zero Hedge - Wikipedia

You do know where Bulgaria is, and their level of historical relationship with the Soviet Union and Russia, don't you? Where do you think the "advertising" money is coming from, especially since daddy is also publishing a similar site in Bulgarian?

Stop reading Russian brainwash, my friend.

Now I see Trudeau. So what? All is well if it ends well, and the opposite. This one did not end well, just read the world press.
What do you call “well”?

As far as I can surmise this G7 went very well. The playing field is level now.

And just to clear up who's biased (regarding the source of your image):

"Zero Hedge is an English-language blog that aggregates financial and political news and presents editorial opinions from original and outside sources. The news portion of the site is written by a group of editors who collectively write under the pseudonym "Tyler Durden" (a character from the novel and film Fight Club).

Zero Hedge's content has been classified as "alt-right",[2] anti-establishment, conspiratorial, and economically pessimistic,[3][4] and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views.[5][6][7][5]'

"Craig Pirrong, professor at the Bauer College of Business writes that "I have frequently written that Zero Hedge has the MO of a Soviet agitprop operation, that it reliably peddles Russian propaganda: my first post on this, almost exactly three years ago, noted the parallels between Zero Hedge and Russia Today."[6][23][7]"

Zero Hedge - Wikipedia
Does that mean the photo is not real?

Can reality be biased?

donald-trump-angela-merkel-g7-summit.jpg

Reminds me of the 1930s, big time. War is coming.
Time Magazine media bias rating is Left.
Time Magazine bias is Left. Time Magazine has become more and more liberal throughout the 2010s. The magazine has featured editorials from far left columnists, as well as advertised for MSNBC, which has resulted in a reduced amount of subscribers

Time Magazine

What do you call “well”?

As far as I can surmise this G7 went very well. The playing field is level now.
U.S.-Canada dispute escalates after tense G7; Trump renews...

"Trudeau got direct personal support from some European leaders.

British Prime Minister Theresa May “is fully supportive” of Trudeau and his leadership, a senior UK government source said, while European Council President Donald Tusk tweeted: “There is a special place in heaven for @JustinTrudeau.”

Freeland, asked about support from allies, said: “The position of our European allies, including Japan, is the same as ours. We coordinated very closely with the European Union, with Mexico, on our list of retaliatory measures and actions.”

Europe will implement counter-measures against U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum just like Canada, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said, voicing regret about Trump’s decision to withdraw support for the communique."

"“In a matter of seconds, you can destroy trust with 280 Twitter characters,” German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said when asked about Trump’s U-turn."

And again you are quoting an irrelevant "alt-right" website (about Time), and want to be taken seriously (I completely agree that Time is left-leaning, thought not for the reasons listed there).

OK, here's where I stop wasting my time with you, because it's like talking about the world with somebody who's being continuously brainwashed. I grew up in that world you are just imagining.

U.S.-Canada dispute escalates after tense G7; Trump renews...

"Trudeau got direct personal support from some European leaders.

British Prime Minister Theresa May “is fully supportive” of Trudeau and his leadership, a senior UK government source said, while European Council President Donald Tusk tweeted: “There is a special place in heaven for @JustinTrudeau.”

Freeland, asked about support from allies, said: “The position of our European allies, including Japan, is the same as ours. We coordinated very closely with the European Union, with Mexico, on our list of retaliatory measures and actions.”

Europe will implement counter-measures against U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum just like Canada, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said, voicing regret about Trump’s decision to withdraw support for the communique."

"“In a matter of seconds, you can destroy trust with 280 Twitter characters,” German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said when asked about Trump’s U-turn."

That is an excellent G7 outcome. It leads to this:
U.S. Steel in Granite City holding job fair Friday

US Steel CEO: We're reopening an idled plant and bringing back 500 jobs due to Trump tariffs

OK, here's where I stop wasting my time with you, because it's like talking about the world with somebody who's been brainwashed.

Ad hominem attack.

Means you lost the argument.

Better luck next time.

It only means I don't argue with idiots.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
2nd Ad hominem attack. Boy are you desperate.

I do love George Carlin.

Last edited:
Look up Pyrrhic victory. ;)

I try to make conversations a win-win situation, where we both learn something new, unless I am dealing with people who think zero sum, in which case it's a waste of my time. Hence you may have "won", but it was the last time.

Btw, do you want a certificate for "winning"?

I must admit I haven't been impressed by Theresa May. But it's not because of her haircut.

Well of course they love him. They did dirty s hit to get him in office I hear. Of course that has yet to be proven. LOL

And he's always going easy on them when others aren't. Putin and Trump are like brothers from another mother.

So I am worried about Western Europe, because, to me, that's where the light of modern civilization shines from.

I know this isn't relevant, but to you only Western Europe represents modern civilization? So China, India, the Middle East, Africa... all those places are not modern? Not civilizations? I'm just curious as to what your statement means.

I know this isn't relevant, but to you only Western Europe represents modern civilization? So China, India, the Middle East, Africa... all those places are not modern? Not civilizations? I'm just curious as to what your statement means.
In the last 300 years or so, none of those places have contributed anything major to the world. I am not talking about thousands of years ago. I do realize that Western civilization stands on the shoulders of the ancients, but I could live without the current culture from any of those areas and not miss it. But, hey, that's just my taste.

In the last 300 years or so, none of those places have contributed anything major to the world. I am not talking about thousands of years ago. I do realize that Western civilization stands on the shoulders of the ancients, but I could live without the current culture from any of those areas and not miss it. But, hey, that's just my taste.

It's kind of hard to assess this statement of superiority when we really don't know how these places would've developed without 300 years of subjugation, free labor, natural resource pillaging, and the arbitrary border making that was done under western imperialism.

Regardless, I cannot live in a world without Chinese and Indian food so I give your statement a thumbs down. Good day, sir.

N Korea media highlights Trump concessions on war games

I can't fathom how any nationalistic Trump supporter can endorse his geopolitical strategy of alienating our historical/cultural/political allies while looking to work on relationships with countries that have no realistic chance of embracing our culture. What did we get for this enormous concession that China/dprk have been trying to get for decades?

So the only places that have contributed anything major to the world in the last 300 years are Western European countries... does this include Australia or New Zealand? How about Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Dubai, Russia? Those places seem like they could be considered "Western".

Reason I ask is because, maybe I'm wrong or reading into it too much, but your statement feels like you may think only Anglo-Saxon white people have contributed to modern civilization and everyone else is really somewhat inferior. You aren't saying that directly but I perceive your statement to imply it. Maybe you have more in common with the Donald or some of his supporters than you think.

So the only places that have contributed anything major to the world in the last 300 years are Western European countries... does this include Australia or New Zealand? How about Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Dubai, Russia? Those places seem like they could be considered "Western".

Reason I ask is because, maybe I'm wrong or reading into it too much, but your statement feels like you may think only Anglo-Saxon white people have contributed to modern civilization and everyone else is really somewhat inferior. You aren't saying that directly but I perceive your statement to imply it. Maybe you have more in common with the Donald or some of his supporters than you think.
I didn't mean Anglo-Saxon. I meant Western European. That includes a lot of different peoples. They were not the only ones (of course there are other developed and successful countries/cultures in the world), but probably 90% of modern civilization has come from there. And from America, in the last 100 years or so.

I do believe that Western Europe has contributed to what I call civilization in recent centuries much more than any other region on Earth. Even to (North) American civilization. And, indeed, I have tremendous respect for the British, for their system of laws and for the protestant values this country was built upon. Nota bene: I am neither Western European, British/Commonwealth, or protestant, but I probably share their system of values.

You haven't lived in a "developing country", which are so prevalent in all the other regions of the world, to appreciate the difference, no offense. It's very postmodern and PC to hate the white man for his historical abuses, but that doesn't diminish his historic achievements (those huge empires have left a huge cultural heritage). It's like hating the Arabs and ignoring that they invented algebra, or their contributions to medicine etc. (while they conquered half of the known world at their time). Or the Chinese (another huge empire) and paper (and gunpowder etc.).

I don't include food when I talk about (modern) civilization. I mostly mean science, philosophy and the arts (and, of course, Western-type liberal democracy). They have a tendency of coming mostly from the great empires, and Western Europe has been the seat for most of those in recent memory. I love food from a lot of countries I wouldn't include as sources of civilization.

Indeed, I have some things in common with the values of the Trump voters. Nothing to be ashamed of. We all have things in common with every other group of people on Earth, probably more than the things that make us different.

By your logic wouldn’t America be the light of modern civilization?

Flight, electricity, telephone, computers, internet, anesthesia come to mind quickly.

When I think of Europe mostly wars come up.