A pre-medical committee letter from your undergraduate institution?

silverpaw54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I have to get a letter from my prehealth advisor? She has yet to be helpful and is usually loaded with appointments with other students. Is there not another alternative for a LOR? I have doctors I've shadowed and two professors. Do I need to meet w/ my prehealth advisor now?

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
silverpaw54 said:
I have to get a letter from my prehealth advisor? She has yet to be helpful and is usually loaded with appointments with other students. Is there not another alternative for a LOR? I have doctors I've shadowed and two professors. Do I need to meet w/ my prehealth advisor now?

It depends on your school. Does you school specifically require you go through the prehealth advisro to get a LOR for med school?

how about the schools you are applying to? do they specifically request this?

OP
S

silverpaw54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2005
Status
Medical Student
"Please complete the following secondary application and have letters of recommendation forwarded to our Admissions Office. We will accept:
1. A pre-medical committee letter from your undergraduate institution or"

This is from UMDNJ's secondary.

About the Ads

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
silverpaw54 said:
"Please complete the following secondary application and have letters of recommendation forwarded to our Admissions Office. We will accept:
1. A pre-medical committee letter from your undergraduate institution or"

This is from UMDNJ's secondary.

What comes after
1. A pre-medical committee letter from your undergraduate institution or
I know UMDNJ-SOM will take individual letters from your profs.

OP
S

silverpaw54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Please complete the following secondary application and have letters of recommendation forwarded to our Admissions Office. We will accept:
1. A pre-medical committee letter from your undergraduate institution or
2. Two science faculty letters of recommendation

tapps314

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
It sounds like the problem is that you don't know your pre-health advisor very well. If you've never met with them, even once, I would say the best thing to do would be making an appointment as quickly as possible and explaining your situation. I've only talked one-on-one with mine one time, and I go to a big university. He has responsibility for a lot of students, but I think it really helped just talking to him that one time for 15 minutes. They probably understand there are a lot of students like you in your same situation, and they'll probably work with you if you can just get in touch with them.

About the Ads