A Psychiatrist's susceptibility to indoctrination (movie question)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I had the pleasure of attending the Adelaide Film Festival to see the movie 'One Eyed Girl'. Now the movie itself was very well filmed and acted, great use of atmospheric camera work, very intense. It managed to keep my attention for the full 110 minutes, but there were definitely parts in the film where I was just mentally shouting at the screen "He's a trained medical professional FFS! Why, for the love of all things kittens, is he doing THAT!".

Basic run down of the film (from memory).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2307002/

Psychiatrist working mostly hospital inpatient, one patient in particular has grade A borderline PD stamped all over her with a history of self harm and suicide attempts. They seem to make a connection in therapy, she gets discharged and somehow manages to track down his home phone number. After asking her where the hell she got the number from in the first place, instead of screaming 'Eff off you crazy stalker' down the line, he invites her over because she's having a crisis. Blah blah blah she comes over, and oh by the way whilst you're here *cue sex scene*. Psychiatrist goes on to attempt a relationship with said Patient, things go awry, patient commits suicide, Psychiatrist goes completely off the rails.

At this point in the film on what is seemingly a whim he attends some sort of weird cult/church movement for the treatment of drug dependence (seeing as he has a few problems with booze and pills himself). First impressions he more or less calls BS, but then he overdoses and in a moment that almost had me yelling at the screen 'What the hell, he's a Doctor!" he doesn't call for an ambulance, he rings the cult group - the same group he'd been denigrating just days before.

Fast forward several scenes, he's more or less held captive by the group on some farm out in the middle of nowhere. He tries to get away numerous times, but somehow they manage to gradually lure him in until he's singing to the tune of 'one of us, one of us, gooble gobble, gooble gobble, one of us' (Tod Browning's 'Freaks' if you didn't get that reference). Cue this trained medical professional swallowing every bit of codswallop that gets thrown at him.

Whilst I did actually enjoy the film over all, as I said before my mind did keep wanting to scream at the screen 'How in the green hell is he falling for this bulls***'

Now I know Psychiatrists are people too, and susceptible to the same foibles as anyone else, but from a Psychiatric point of view how likely or believable is it that a Psychiatrist, even one with severe substance abuse and boundary violation issues, could be taken and brainwashed/indoctrinated to the degree shown in the film (he only snaps out of it when he witnesses the abuse of a cult member, and then finds out 'Oh hey look there's Kool Aid to drink, Kool Aid and guns').

So to recap:

- Inviting a patient over after she's proven herself to be capable of stalking by tracking down his home phone number - meh fairly unbelievable, maybe in a moment of weakness I'll give that a pass seeing as it moves the plot of the movie along.

- Overdosing as a trained medical professional and ringing a cult group instead of hitting 3 simple numbers (000) and getting an ambulance out to help him - LOLWUT?!

- Actually falling for what the cult is selling - Priceless.

So, opinions, discussion, academic references, anecdotes, catharsis, whatever else. I know probably no one else has seen this film, but it brings up a lot of issues, it had an interesting angle, I'm just not entirely sure the execution as such was really done in a believable way.

Members don't see this ad.

I told a police friend of mine I hate watching doctor shows, and I absolutely detest fictional media about psychiatry. He said he can’t stand detective shows either. I guess these things make good on some lay people’s interest, but name a positively portrayed psychiatrist in the movies. I can think of over a dozen murderers, but good guys? Maybe Jud Hirsh in Ordinary People.

Reactions: 1 users
I told a police friend of mine I hate watching doctor shows, and I absolutely detest fictional media about psychiatry. He said he can’t stand detective shows either. I guess these things make good on some lay people’s interest, but name a positively portrayed psychiatrist in the movies. I can think of over a dozen murderers, but good guys? Maybe Jud Hirsh in Ordinary People.

It was definitely an interesting concept, handled the right way I thought it could have made for a much more impactful film. It's not often you see a movie done from the point of the Psychiatrist undergoing their own stresses and symptomology. It could of been quite a poignant piece, but instead they went for 'Oh we totes have to get him indoctrinated into a cult for teh dramaz!' Enjoyable for a piece of fiction, but there were definite moments where I was thinking 'Okay I can suspend disbelief, but right now disbelief is getting bodily hurled out the window'.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know an infectious disease professor who said he couldn’t suspend his disbelief during “World War Z” because the zombie virus couldn’t possible transform people that quickly. “Really, you went to a Brad Pitt movie about zombies and got hung up on viral incubation time?”

Psychiatrists are not the only physicians who are victims of entertainment’s poetic license, but I wish this license would focus on something other than murder and boundary violations.

I know an infectious disease professor who said he couldn’t suspend his disbelief during “World War Z” because the zombie virus couldn’t possible transform people that quickly. “Really, you went to a Brad Pitt movie about zombies and got hung up on viral incubation time?”

Psychiatrists are not the only physicians who are victims of entertainment’s poetic license, but I wish this license would focus on something other than murder and boundary violations.

Quite agree. Once you start getting into the realms of Zombies and other similar genres, within reason of course, disbelief tends to cosy up alongside you and becomes your new best bud.

I'd personally like to see a sensitively handled movie that dealt with countertransference and the stressors inherent in Psychiatry, that wasn't 'Psychiatrist has sex with patient, patient commits suicide, bad evil Psychiatrist!!!!111' *watches as tumbleweeds roll by* Something tells me I might be waiting a long time for that. There's just so many films that focus on the patient side of things, I'd like to see someone tackle it, and tackle it well, from the opposite side of the table.

Last edited:
Can't remember the name, but there was one that came out recently where Jude Law played a psychiatrist who ended up being the primary protagonist (though unexpectedly)

I think a lot of this just jives(or is it jibes?) with our family low approval/trust/respect numbers in the public's mind. Again in the latest survey on public opinion I saw we are seen at about the same level as chiros. There is separate(!) poll rating for physicians, which is much higher(other medical specialties weren't separated). So our portrayal in movies just follows that general trend.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't remember the name, but there was one that came out recently where Jude Law played a psychiatrist who ended up being the primary protagonist (though unexpectedly)

Side Effects

It was done by the same person who did Shutter Island (**spoilers follow**), which I also thought portrayed psychiatry in a fairly positive light (actually bizarrely positive . . . what mental institution would have had the time to indulge a patient the way they did?), until the very last scene—although that last scene was relative to the time period, so all in all it didn't seem anti or pro psychiatry, just a neutral part of the story.

- Inviting a patient over after she's proven herself to be capable of stalking by tracking down his home phone number - meh fairly unbelievable, maybe in a moment of weakness I'll give that a pass seeing as it moves the plot of the movie along.

- Overdosing as a trained medical professional and ringing a cult group instead of hitting 3 simple numbers (000) and getting an ambulance out to help him - LOLWUT?!

- Actually falling for what the cult is selling - Priceless.

I could believe the first point

I could believe the first point

Really? I suppose I just have this idea that sex between Doctors and their patients is more of a slow build process, not just 'How the hell did you get my number, oh what they hey here's my address come on over and we'll jump into bed'. The movie did show some connection between the Psychiatrist and his patient, it sort of hinted at a deeper connection, but I think I would have preferred to have seen the lead up to crossing *that* particular boundary to have been more obvious, or at least had the movie spend more time on it so when it got to that particular scene the audience wasn't left going 'Wait, what?'

Really? I suppose I just have this idea that sex between Doctors and their patients is more of a slow build process, not just 'How the hell did you get my number, oh what they hey here's my address come on over and we'll jump into bed'. The movie did show some connection between the Psychiatrist and his patient, it sort of hinted at a deeper connection, but I think I would have preferred to have seen the lead up to crossing *that* particular boundary to have been more obvious, or at least had the movie spend more time on it so when it got to that particular scene the audience wasn't left going 'Wait, what?'

you could be right. I have heard a few stories about older psychiatrists (born before me) having sex with patients, but I don't know/remember the details about how the sexual relationship started. I have no personal experience in the matter.