A Question about Deposit Fees!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do they work? Do we have to send one to each school we get into or are we supposed to wait until we decide on one school and send it to them? (which I think should be by May 15)

The reason I am asking is because I recently received my first acceptance:D and I was going to send them the acknowledgement of the acceptance. It is a very good school, but I am OOS and it is pretty expensive. I am still waiting to hear back two other schools which are both pretty much the same cost. I have an interview at my state school next week. Any thoughts regarding the deposit fee due dates? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

How do they work? Do we have to send one to each school we get into or are we supposed to wait until we decide on one school and send it to them? (which I think should be by May 15)

The reason I am asking is because I recently received my first acceptance:D and I was going to send them the acknowledgement of the acceptance. It is a very good school, but I am OOS and it is pretty expensive. I am still waiting to hear back two other schools which are both pretty much the same cost. I have an interview at my state school next week. Any thoughts regarding the deposit fee due dates? :confused:

The acceptance letter should outline the specifics of the deposit because the procedure varies from school to school. Generally, if the school requires a deposit, then it's due two weeks after your acceptance and is refundable if you withdraw before May 15.

Different schools have different policies on deposits. In some cases, the deposit if fully refundable if you decide not to go. In other cases, you lose your deposit if you choose another school.

Take another look at the acceptance letter that asks for your deposit. The letter should tell you whether or not your deposit is refundable. Should the letter be silent on the issue, call the admissions office and ask them directly.

Congratulations! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Deposits vary with schools. some schools ask for them, and for those that ask for a deposit you have to send in the deposit with your acceptance form.

For majority of MD schools if not all, these deposits are 100% refundable as long as you withdraw your application before May 15th.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, by reading the letter more closely, it seems that the school (Penn State) requires a deposit no later than May 15. This is a very good idea I believe because you dont have to worry about getting a refund if you decide to go somewhere else.