A question about the D.O. profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaCrust

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about what a "typical day" for a D.O. is like. I'm a pre-med student and I'm thinking about going into the D.O. field. If there are any D.O.'s out there, would you mind telling me the length of time you spend working per day and how many days per week? I know it's different for everyone, but what is the average number of patients you see daily? Can you request days of for a vacation any time you want? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a physician (yet), but I do know that there is not going to be a clean, cut answer to your questoins. It really depends on what type of medicine you end up practicing, whether you work privately or in a hospital etc, and what area/location. A pediatrician working in the middle of no-where will undoubtedly have a different work schedule than an ER physician dowtown LA...

My suggestion to you would be to set up some time shadowing different physicians, residents, PAs etc...to get a feel for different settings. I did this and I believe that it was a great experience (and probably helped me to get into med school)

If you have further questions - feel free to ask!

Beth