A question for the Cali folks...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veenut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...if I took a year off after college and got a job in Cali, could I claim residency there after a year when applying to med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. As long as you move in 1 year before the residency determination date for the quarter you would start school. Make sure you change everything over, pay taxes, etc.

lonecyote is right. it takes one year, but you need to be able to prove it, and sometimes they really make you work to prove it. here are some tips.

pay cali taxes.
register to vote.
register your car and get a cali drivers license.
have a credit card with your cali address, and use it regularly in cali so you have a record of contributing to the cali economy all year.

Members don't see this ad :)
GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA!!!! :laugh:

that's so clever! so you're hoping for a better shot at all the cali schools?

Hehe yeah, I've always wanted to go to California (dream school is UCSD), and this seems like a pretty good way to go about getting there.

vn2004 said:
Hehe yeah, I've always wanted to go to California (dream school is UCSD), and this seems like a pretty good way to go about getting there.

I'd be a little wary of california residency, especially if your home state has less competative, quality medical schools. A lot of Cali residents with good apps never get looked at twice by the UCs.

Good luck!

Yep being a cali resident is no sure ticket, thousands and thousands of applicants here.