Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

A question to Kaplan: about Psych section and newly released set of books.

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by dushash, Aug 5, 2015.

1. dushash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Judging from recent test takers who gave feedback here on forum (and who were doing Kaplan course) - they encountered lots of terminology, theory and concepts (mostly in sociology though) that they were not familiar with and that was not covered by Kaplan psych book. So, I've heard that Kaplan released a new set of 7 books (available on amazon etc) and apparetnly it has 3200pages or +1100 more than previous set that I use right now.

So my questions are:
    1. Can we expect Psych section to include more content?
    2. Can I exchange my set (or at least Psych book) for a new one, considering I paid $2K and my course is still valid and ongoing?

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lmladdno84

2+ Year Member

They sure better exchange your set.

And I looked at the new Psych book briefly at B&N the other day. All I can say is that all of the chapters are titled the same. I've already taken my test, so I really wasn't in the mood to really study the details of the new book.

4. BeMD13

5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I just got off the phone with Kaplan. First the guy I talked to tried to lie and say they'd only been updated once for the 2015 switch. He ended up sending me the new set that was updated last month but I had to pay a $20 shipping fee. My course starts the 31st so they might give you a harder time if yours already started. It's still worth making a phone call though.

#3 BeMD13, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. egil_skallagrimsson

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    The page count is an amazon error. If you add up the pages for the books on the individual listings it comes out about 150 pages less than the previous edition. They're essentially identical according to the reviews.

6. JKMBC

Pre-Medical
    My test is in a couple of weeks, and it's only now that I've started looking at the AAMC list of what to prepare for that I see a bunch of concepts I'm not familiar with from my kaplan prep. It's my fault for assuming that there would be little discrepancy between the Kaplan course material and what was on the AAMC list, but do you guys think me going through the Khan Academy videos will be sufficient preparation to learn the extra concepts not covered in the Kaplan books?

My tests September 12th...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

#5 JKMBC, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015