Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

A Question To MCAT veterans

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by quiksilver87, May 15, 2008.

1. quiksilver87

As we all know, the BIO section is becoming more and more dependant on basic the knowledge of basic concepts (NOT the details). The questions are also becoming heavily dependant on the passages. When I took my exam, I really thought the BS section was like the verbal! What are your thoughts on this? Also, did you come accross any VERY detailed discrete questions (BS or PS)that required knowledge of specifics? I haven't but one of my friends said she did...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. supafield

supafield Dream Big

My bio was heavily passage dependent... but then some of the discretes I found were very specific... stomach ions and odd stuff.... but only a few questions...

4. kronickm

kronickm even par.

Medical Student
    Yeah definitely a mix of both. Mostly passage based Q's but enough direct retrieval questions to keep you honest.

5. TypeSH07

TypeSH07 Junior Member

I feel like even the AAMC practice test BS is very conceptual and not too factual which is great.

6. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I had some very specific discretes and of course the other questions were of the passage heavy kind.

I barely had to read a passage on practice tests and the real one was nothing but the passage. I know better now!!

7. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    When I took the MCAT last Sept. I didn't think it was too passage heavy. It seemed like a mix, but I could still answer most of the questions based on my knowledge. However, it looks like it may have changed quite a bit from when I took it judging by some of the comments I've read.

8. mterp45

mterp45 Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    It's funny because as a non-bio major, I hadn't taken anything but the basic biology classes when I initially started studying for this test. I hated the bio section then. Most of the bio passage topics were new to me, so I couldn't simply go off of knowledge. I went on an upper level Bio knowledge mission and took biochem, genetics, mammal physiology, immunology, microbiology all this year to boost my bio score. However, what's funny is that now I can't remember If I used any of these upper level classes in the bio section. The whole thing seemed to be a reasoning test. Good thing I was prepared for that. :thumbup: