A

AnkleGuy

So the other day I thought about those that drop out of medical school. My question is, since most people sign a 12 month lease at the start of medical school and they drop/fail out, how do they pay their rent? I mean it's not like you can get a job right away... I'm sure some people can. But the economy just isn't that swell. Also I'm not sure how minimum wage can cover their costs with their medical school and undergrad loans kicking in.

Chelsea FC

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
So the other day I thought about those that drop out of medical school. My question is, since most people sign a 12 month lease at the start of medical school and they drop/fail out, how do they pay their rent? I mean it's not like you can get a job right away... I'm sure some people can. But the economy just isn't that swell. Also I'm not sure how minimum wage can cover their costs with their medical school and undergrad loans kicking in.
The school doesn't take back the refund money that you use to pay rent. So you still have that money for the first semester until you find a job or find a way to get out of your lease. Most loans students take are government which has income based repayments and a good number of deferral until you can get your feet on the ground. Going that route sucks hence why alot of people stick it out or do self harm as an escape

OP
A

AnkleGuy

The school doesn't take back the refund money that you use to pay rent. So you still have that money for the first semester until you find a job or find a way to get out of your lease
I don't know how it is at your school, but at my school loans are dispersed at during a semester basis. So if a student drops/fails out after the first semester, then what happens to them for the next six months of their apartment lease? That's my question. I guess it really depends on what type of penalty there is for breaking the lease contract.

About the Ads

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I don't know how it is at your school, but at my school loans are dispersed at during a semester basis. So if a student drops/fails out after the first semester, then what happens to them for the next six months of their apartment lease? That's my question. I guess it really depends on what type of penalty there is for breaking the lease contract.
You find a job, get money from family, or break the lease (and move in with family or somewhere you have a job).

I mean, you have to live somewhere regardless, so what would you be doing if you didn't make it into medical school?

Kkshake

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Isn't there a large financial penalty with that?
Usually it's 2 months rent (at least that's all mine have been)....They also waive the penalty if they can find someone else to rent it

trs88

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
TN or Texas
Status
Medical Student
Isn't there a large financial penalty with that?
Maybe yes, maybe not. It depends on the landlord and each lease. My roommate and I are both med students and we're renting a house that has a clause that if our school situation changes, we'll get let out of the lease. Sometimes there might be a clause that there is a penalty, but if you talk to your landlord they might let you leave without penalty. Or not, cause you cost them money.

Reactions: Crayola227

Spydra

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Psychology Student
Depending on your expenses overall, how much your rent is, and how much loan money you're taking out you could pay your lease in full for the year. That way if your situation changes you'll still have a roof over your head and one less bill to worry about for awhile. If it isn't feasible to pay for the full year upfront you could still pay for half the year, depending on what your finances will allow so you still have a cushion.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
I lost $1200, first and last month deposit, without ever moving in when I had to break my lease last minute

About the Ads