Not open for further replies.

anxious_premed

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Status
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-03-02-doctor-shortage_x.htm

Particularly interesting is the "Controlling the supply" section. Women doctors work 25% less than men do and are half of the new doctors. We should really limit women to ~35% or so of medical school classes if this is the case. There is no point in training people who aren't going to work as much as other applicants. What do you guys think?

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
its de ja vu all over again...

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
shoot i forgot what the name of that other poster was who just went on spewing about women. sometimes i really wonder if its all the sameperson: premed machine, chyme, dr. eugenics,

tandski

MS3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Richmond, VA
Status
Medical Student
anxious_premed said:

Particularly interesting is the "Controlling the supply" section. Women doctors work 25% less than men do and are half of the new doctors. We should really limit women to ~35% or so of medical school classes if this is the case. There is no point in training people who aren't going to work as much as other applicants. What do you guys think?
Wow, what a terrible thing to say. I understand the statistics, but your whole argument is horribly sexist. We cannot limit the number of women entering medical school for any reason. They make great doctors, the more the better. Even if they decide to dedicate some of their time to other things, which are equally important, like Mothering their children, or any other reason that might take then away from medicine. No point? Phhh...

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
braluk said:
shoot i forgot what the name of that other poster was who just went on spewing about women. sometimes i really wonder if its all the sameperson: premed machine, chyme, dr. eugenics,
Twas lurker884, and his second account, lurker8884. That got really interesting.

OP, the article also says that physicians 55 and older work 15% less than younger physicians... what do you propose to do about that?

EDIT: I meant younger, not regular, but I think everyone got the gist anyway...

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
anxious_premed said:

This was a much more interesting article when most of us saw it on SDN over a year ago.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status
Medical Student
and once youre in medical school, is there any economic reason why you should keep supporting your assertion? If you want to, you could work even more hours and make more money since the demand would be there.

Chinorean

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2005
Status
mvenus929 said:
OP, the article also says that physicians 55 and older work 15% less than regular physicians... what do you propose to do about that?
Oh that's awful...it's definitely contributing to the physician shortage...medical schools should stop admitting students who are going to one day become 55-year-olds, they are taking spots away from the rest of us!

:laugh:

Dancing Doctor

Redneck Woman
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Clawson, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mvenus929 said:
OP, the article also says that physicians 55 and older work 15% less than regular physicians... what do you propose to do about that?
Euthanize them of course. They are like old work horses...they need to go out to pasture. :rolleyes:

isobel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
mvenus929 said:
install little chips in each doc's hand a la Logan's Run

mintendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Status
braluk said:
Hey is that a real picture in your avater?

If so, how the? :scared: why :scared: ? wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.