A Reminder to Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrbiggles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Making a decision about which school to attend next year is admittedly a difficult feat. This process obviously requires tremendous introspection which we can all agree takes some time. You may also be waiting to hear back from other schools that you are wait listed at, making the process even more perplexing. Believe me when I say we all compassionately understand the factors that make this a predicament. However I want to remind those who are simply procrastinating their decision that people who have no acceptances, and people who are waiting to hear from their top school are sitting patiently on a list for you to withdraw your acceptance. I'm not asking you to rush this paramount life decision for the sake of those who weren't competitive enough to get in immediately, yet I'm urging you to ask yourself the question "Do I really want to attend this school, or am I just holding onto this acceptance with no intention of actually attending here?". In conclusion I'd like to say congratulations for your acceptances you truly deserve it, and please keep us folks in mind who are patiently awaiting the best day of our lives.

Members don't see this ad.

Making a decision about which school to attend next year is admittedly a difficult feat. This process obviously requires tremendous introspection which we can all agree takes some time. You may also be waiting to hear back from other schools that you are wait listed at, making the process even more perplexing. Believe me when I say we all compassionately understand the factors that make this a predicament. However I want to remind those who are simply procrastinating their decision that people who have no acceptances, and people who are waiting to hear from their top school are sitting patiently on a list for you to withdraw your acceptance. I'm not asking you to rush this paramount life decision for the sake of those who weren't competitive enough to get in immediately, yet I'm urging you to ask yourself the question "Do I really want to attend this school, or am I just holding onto this acceptance with no intention of actually attending here?". In conclusion I'd like to say congratulations for your acceptances you truly deserve it, and please keep us folks in mind who are patiently awaiting the best day of our lives.

By may 15 we can only have one acceptance, so hang tight its just a few more weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
debating the same thing. didn't play the beta, but from what I read, there's a lot less customization. plus i know how i get with games like diablo and wow, study time might suffer

well said! I'm in the same boat as well. May 15th hurry up

Agreed, I hope you get some good news soon!:luck:

I think most people are in a situation where they are waiting for someone to give up a spot, whether they have 0 acceptances or 10 acceptances. May 15th is just around the corner and hopefully that will clarify lots of things for people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically speaking, most schools overaccepted people, counting on the fact that many would withdraw prior to May 15th. They probably aren't going to start pulling people off the waitlist until after May 15th, even if they drop below their target number of matriculants. So just hang tight.

Also keep in mind that one person dropping isn't going to send the adcom rushing to the waitlist. Generally a decent number of people have to drop before they go to the WL, but with May 15th only a few weeks away, you can expect WL movement soon.

Oh, and another thing to consider, not all schools have released their financial aid packages to accepted applicants yet. Surely that's going to cause a few people to decline their offer of acceptance.

Maybe a current student/someone more willing to look at old threads can confirm this, but I don't think that most schools start pulling people off the wait-list until well after May 15th.

But maybe D3 makes the wait a little easier at that point? xD

Edit: Whoops! Mvenus already said this.

Maybe a current student/someone more willing to look at old threads can confirm this, but I don't think that most schools start pulling people off the wait-list until well after May 15th.

But maybe D3 makes the wait a little easier at that point? xD

Edit: Whoops! Mvenus already said this.

University at Buffalo is currently pulling up from their wait list. They're accepting as soon as someone sends them a withdraw. I'm sure UB isn't the only school doing that especially considering its nearly the end of interview season.

Realize that this happens BECAUSE people don't withdraw sooner. People often hold multiple acceptances AFTER May 15, in violation of the traffic rules. As a result, admissions offices have to take week or two to track down all those who hold multiple acceptances and boot them off the list! This delays the process for everyone, adding to unnecessary anxiety.

I'm with the OP - please withdraw as soon as you have made a decision never to go a certain school.

In addition, if you're holding onto a merit scholarship but you're certain you won't go, DROP IT so that someone else can have it in time for it to make a happy difference in their decision.

Consider a situation where you have a full ride to Michigan, acceptance at Stanford, and waitlist at Harvard. You're not swayed by the scholarship to Michigan because you're a wealthy bastard, and you want to go to Harvard because you're a prestige *****. You should drop Michigan, commit to Stanford, and hope that someone who is holding a Harvard and a Michigan acceptance gets your scholarship and is swayed before May 15, opening up a space for you at Harvard!

Wishful, far-fetched thinking, sure, but that's the most rational strategy.

Realistically speaking, most schools overaccepted people, counting on the fact that many would withdraw prior to May 15th. They probably aren't going to start pulling people off the waitlist until after May 15th, even if they drop below their target number of matriculants. So just hang tight.

I was accepted off 2 wait-lists in mid april

Realize that this happens BECAUSE people don't withdraw sooner. People often hold multiple acceptances AFTER May 15, in violation of the traffic rules. As a result, admissions offices have to take week or two to track down all those who hold multiple acceptances and boot them off the list! This delays the process for everyone, adding to unnecessary anxiety.

I'm with the OP - please withdraw as soon as you have made a decision never to go a certain school.

In addition, if you're holding onto a merit scholarship but you're certain you won't go, DROP IT so that someone else can have it in time for it to make a happy difference in their decision.

Consider a situation where you have a full ride to Michigan, acceptance at Stanford, and waitlist at Harvard. You're not swayed by the scholarship to Michigan because you're a wealthy bastard, and you want to go to Harvard because you're a prestige *****. You should drop Michigan, commit to Stanford, and hope that someone who is holding a Harvard and a Michigan acceptance gets your scholarship and is swayed before May 15, opening up a space for you at Harvard!

chronicidal, don't you have enough acceptances already????!! dang boy

Haha, I like what you did there.

Hahahahaha very captivating example..but yes, this is the kind of thing I'm referring to

THIS! :thumbup: At least at the schools I'm waiting to hear from, there is a lot of movement this late in the season, and waiting is torturous! If you're not dying to go there, give it up!

Like someone above hinted at, everyone who's waiting on waitlist movement needs to realize a lot of it will happen AFTER May 15. Once the "deadline" hits, schools can begin to give ultimatums to students who have multiple acceptances, so they might still give people several weeks to decide.

Meh, I think schools wait til May 15+ before opening up on waitlist acceptances full force because they have no reason not to. It is in their best interest, in many cases, to minimize the risk of accepting students that are going to withdraw anyways.

As far as merit aid goes, many schools (such as Pitt, but possible U Mich too) do not "reassign" their merit offers. They over-offer with the knowledge that a certain fraction typically will withdraw despite those offers.

Keep in mind that acceptances are wonderful for bargaining merit scholarships...

You don't have a choice.

Oh really? Thank you for your valuable insight. I actually thought I could change my fate just by thinking about it, but now that a medical student has told me that I don't have a choice, this changes everything. :bang:

Oh really? Thank you for your valuable insight. I actually thought I could change my fate just by thinking about it, but now that a medical student has told me that I don't have a choice, this changes everything. :bang:

Will+Ferrell.jpg

Anytime.

Wait, the law of attraction is NOT true?

Its been quoted too many times to correct... damn. It makes my laugh high pitched like a school girl's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Its been quoted too many times to correct... damn. It makes my laugh high pitched like a school girl's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

I thought it made your laugh the same way a pleasing event can make your day.

"Go ahead punk. Make my laugh."