A reponse to those who oppose our decision...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPicard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who gets negative responses from people after they find out that I'm going to pharmacy school (instead of a chemistry graduate program).

A common jab I get is something along the lines of me being a pill pusher/counter/etc. Here's a response I came up with:

Well, we also deal in suppositories. If you'd like, I can tell you where you can stick it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who gets negative responses from people after they find out that I'm going to pharmacy school (instead of a chemistry graduate program).

A common jab I get is something along the lines of me being a pill pusher/counter/etc. Here's a response I came up with:

Well, we also deal in suppositories. If you'd like, I can tell you where you can stick it.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yup, you're not the only one who thinks this. I've been working as a researcher for a little over a year and a half, and every time I talk with another labmate, I always feel the convo always denigrates to:

"Pushing pills sounds real exciting :rolleyes: - I think you're only doing it for the $$$."

Funny thing is... despite bickering over the myriad of career opportunitites within pharmacy, I don't think that my labmate (amongst others) has the foresight to realize that in 10 years time, a pharmD's salary won't even be enough to routinely afford that $10/gal gas, so does it really matter what you make anyways?!

I don't know if shove it in your rear is something I would say to my boyfrien'ds parents and all the Ph. D's at my school that seem to think I am an idiot for "selling myself too cheap ". I haven't come up with the good response yet. But I don't think i'll even bother thinking of one, just because I really couldn't give a s*hit what people think.

Yeah... I was kidding. Just wanted to see who would go to the trouble to attempt to explain...

Offtopic:

About Amy Winehouse....I say the same thing all the time. I'd hate to see her die of overdose, like many others (Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison).

Offtopic:

About Amy Winehouse....I say the same thing all the time. I'd hate to see her die of overdose, like many others (Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison).

Yeah she's probably the one of the artists that really needs to pull it together.

Offtopic:

She's close, which is scary. I hope she's willing to fight. Her face is covered in drug-induced sores; that's a bad, bad sign. :(

I'm sure she'll pull it together, music can be as inspirational as it can be a process of healing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously. Perhaps they'll do him a nice tribute in the new batman or something.

I think I finally convinced my friend that pharmacists aren't just pill counters.

So now, he says, "So won't you just be reading off the drug label's all day to customers..."

I think I finally convinced my friend that pharmacists aren't just pill counters.

So now, he says, "So won't you just be reading off the drug label's all day to customers..."
Tell him that you'll round with doctors during your rotations. Then tell him that the highlight of the doctors' day is pharmacist story time, where in which you read drug labels to doctors for an hour. Tell him that after you read, the doctors rate your performance from 1-10, 1 being the least empathetic and 10 being the most empathetic. Finally, tell him that you get bonus points if you add a back beat that can coordinate the complex syllables associated with pharmacology.
:smuggrin:

Last week a guy I work with asked me why I'm doing pharmacy if I already have a bachelor's degree in biology. I said that many applicants have a bio degree because it covers the prerequisite classes. he then asked what a prereq class was. I told him the list of classes you need to apply and he asked me how long until I will be a pharmacist. I said 4-5 years and he was shocked. Do people still think pharmacy is a bachelor's degree?

Tell him that you'll round with doctors during your rotations. Then tell him that the highlight of the doctors' day is pharmacist story time, where in which you read drug labels to doctors for an hour. Tell him that after you read, the doctors rate your performance from 1-10, 1 being the least empathetic and 10 being the most empathetic. Finally, tell him that you get bonus points if you add a back beat that can coordinate the complex syllables associated with pharmacology.
:smuggrin:
Extra Bonus multiplier if you can drop some pop culture references while impersonating Samuel L. Jackson.
:laugh:

Last week a guy I work with asked me why I'm doing pharmacy if I already have a bachelor's degree in biology. I said that many applicants have a bio degree because it covers the prerequisite classes. he then asked what a prereq class was. I told him the list of classes you need to apply and he asked me how long until I will be a pharmacist. I said 4-5 years and he was shocked. Do people still think pharmacy is a bachelor's degree?

yes... in fact some people think you dont need a degree at all.

This is EXACTLY what happens to me...very often in fact! It shocks me how many people don't know what it takes to be a pharmacist...but...oh well!

To the OP....I had a similar issue because I was a biochemistry major. When I told some of my professors about my decision to go to pharmacy school they said the same thing....you want to count pills?? I said that it would be more complicated than that and that there was alot of chemistry involved in pharmacy school. You know biochem again and pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacokinetics....etc. I also told them how the work environment at the hospital is much different than the stereotypical pharmacy role. The professors were still kinda disappointed in me because I wasn't pursuing a graduate degree in chemistry....oh well.

People are shocked when I tell them I will get a doctorate out of it. :laugh: