LightHouse123

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Peponi
Status
Medical Student
If you are trying to determine tumor size for a research project, and there is no imaging, how do you use the pathology report to obtain that data.

Because it appears the pathology report mentions the dimensions of the gross tumor, and a times, the dimensions of a firm structure within that gross tumor (which may or may not have been the tumor)

The operative report may also give tumor size per the surgeon's impression, however, I imagine it is an estimation at best. And it is not always provided.

How do you guys report tumor size? Is pre-op imaging the only bet? Or do most people just use the gross tumor dimension?

Thanks!

RadOncDoc21

7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
If you are trying to determine tumor size for a research project, and there is no imaging, how do you use the pathology report to obtain that data.

Because it appears the pathology report mentions the dimensions of the gross tumor, and a times, the dimensions of a firm structure within that gross tumor (which may or may not have been the tumor)

The operative report may also give tumor size per the surgeon's impression, however, I imagine it is an estimation at best. And it is not always provided.

How do you guys report tumor size? Is pre-op imaging the only bet? Or do most people just use the gross tumor dimension?

Thanks!
Both, you use imaging and physical exam (if tumor is palpable) for clincal staging, surgical path for pathologic staging.

OP
L

LightHouse123

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Peponi
Status
Medical Student
Both, you use imaging and physical exam (if tumor is palpable) for clincal staging, surgical path for pathologic staging.
Thanks for your response.

I guess my question is with respect to the pathologic staging: Do you use dimensions of the GROSS specimen (even though it overestimates the tumor size)?

stankem

5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for your response.

I guess my question is with respect to the pathologic staging: Do you use dimensions of the GROSS specimen (even though it overestimates the tumor size)?
No you would not use the size of the excised tissue which is what it sound like you're asking. The fixed specimen actually slightly underestimates size of fresh tissue in many instances.