A residents salary

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by maverick_pkg, Mar 24, 2007.

1. maverick_pkg

maverick_pkg Vascular Surgery
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would be getting around $43000 for the 1st year and living in Omaha, NE which shouldn't be too expensive.

sorry for my ignorance, I was wondering how much the residents get after taxes per month, and how much is the usual expenditure on renting a 1-2 bedroom apartment, car and other living expenses. Have to figure out which car to buy/lease accordingly :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1) Consider deferring this decision until you know the answer from personal experience
    2) ask other residents at your program. I don't think you'll find much expertise on the Omaha rental market and the tax/benefit policies specific to your institution here on SDN.

4. LovelyRita

LovelyRita Blade Slinger
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    After taxes, you'll get about 2400 a month (1200 every 2 weeks). (Just multiply 43K by 0.28, that's about the average for how much tax you'll pay and then what's left over divide into 26 "paychecks") You can afford about 800 or so for rent/mortgage and another 200 or so for utilities. That leaves you with your food and beer expenses (easily about 400/month--at least that's what mine are) and you'll have another 1000 left over for whatever--car, bill paying, etc. It sounds like alot, but it goes fast. That's pretty much my story, and I have friends who pay more for their homes/car and they are pretty maxed out.

Anyway, I just leased a new car and my payment is about 270 a month. I'd rather have no car payment and would have continued to do so for as long as possible, but my old car was starting to have problems and I don't have time to deal with car problems. ;)

Have fun!

5. maverick_pkg

maverick_pkg Vascular Surgery
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hey thanks a lot guys...gave me a fair idea