A second BA after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Veidt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received by BA in Biochemistry in 2010. I took the MCAT recently, and I received my score a few months ago. I did pretty well (43), and I have 3 years until this score expires. I already have a good GPA (though not perfect), 6+ yrs. working at a clinic, 2.5 years working at a lab (working on my 3rd publication), amongst other things.

I don't care about Harvard or anything, so I'm pretty content with my current situation. My question is if I can still apply for a second Bachelor's degree. Is this possible, given that I've graduated from undergrad?

I've always had a passion for Philosophy. In fact, it's all I've been reading in the past 2 years since graduation. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I received by BA in Biochemistry in 2010. I took the MCAT recently, and I received my score a few months ago. I did pretty well (43), and I have 3 years until this score expires. I already have a good GPA (though not perfect), 6+ yrs. working at a clinic, 2.5 years working at a lab (working on my 3rd publication), amongst other things.

I don't care about Harvard or anything, so I'm pretty content with my current situation. My question is if I can still apply for a second Bachelor's degree. Is this possible, given that I've graduated from undergrad?

I've always had a passion for Philosophy. In fact, it's all I've been reading in the past 2 years since graduation. What are your thoughts?

Save a few hundred thousand and apply for a library card.

Save a few hundred thousand and apply for a library card.

Haha, I feel you. Getting the books on your e-reader is how I spend most of my time.

However, I really want all those good things that come with a philosophy class. The engaging discussions, the playing around with ideas, and even the work is refreshing. I've always liked writing.

I've been working for a while, and I have few expenses. I would gladly foot the bill.

As someone who is studying pre-med and classics in undergrad, in addition to engaging in some philosophy, if you are already 2 years post-grad, don't let another 2+ years slip by you. I completely understand what you like about the discussion and writing. I had a great class where I wrote a term paper on something I never thought I would ever hear of, let alone write 15 pages on. However, in the end, the best philosophical discussion I've had came outside of the classroom, after completing my own readings and reaching out to philosophy professors at my institution. Hell, you could even find discussion forums or maybe your library has local meetings. Some of the best discussions I've had are with like-minded friends. You won't even have intelligent or worthwhile conversations until upper level philosophy courses anyway.

You may have the money, but why spend the time on something that can be discovered without years of schooling and thousands of dollars? If you know you want to be a doctor, get started now. A 43 and a good GPA with pubs and work experience will get you where you want to go. Unless you think philosophy might be a better career, it isn't worth more than personal dabbling.