A single, bad grade because of a horrible mistake?

• Thread starter LoveBeingHuman:)
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

What should you do when a single, horrible mistake causes you to get a C in the class. Mistakes like:

-Forgetting to answer the point-dense last page of the final because it was on the back
-Mistaking 11:59am for 11:59pm and therefore being marked off 50% on a paper than was worth 60% of the class (cause your professor is a........ I'm not even gonna finish that cause I don't wanna get banned)

When I say "what should you do?", what I really mean is how should I communicate on my application the circumstances surrounding the bad grade? Talking to the professor, appealing to the head of the department, etc have all been done so those are not an option

Members don't see this ad.

Well, which of the two things you listed was your single "mistake?" Either one would pretty much have to be chalked up to carelessness. You have to talk about how you've fixed that inattention to detail, not try to excuse it away.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, which of the two things you listed was your single "mistake?" Either one would pretty much have to be chalked up to carelessness. You have to talk about how you've fixed that inattention to detail, not try to excuse it away.

I'm just giving examples, but the second one happened to me. Of course I want to show that I learned from it as well. But when and where should I bring it up?

Members don't see this ad :)
One time I showed up to class unaware that we had an exam in a core class for my bio major. Got a crappy grade in the course, but am still going to med school in the fall so who cares really.

Stuff like this happens to everyone. Once I forgot to staple one of my answer sheets to the final exam worth 30% of my grade and got a B in the class. You can fix this by: 1. making sure you get good grades in all your other classes. 2. don't pick a class where 60% of your grade is on a single essay, and if you have to at least turn the essay in early.

No-one is immune to bad luck, the only thing you can do is minimize the effects.

Reactions: 1 users
You deal with it, try to make sure it doesn't happen again, and you move on.

What should you do when a single, horrible mistake causes you to get a C in the class. Mistakes like:

-Forgetting to answer the point-dense last page of the final because it was on the back
-Mistaking 11:59am for 11:59pm and therefore being marked off 50% on a paper than was worth 60% of the class (cause your professor is a........ I'm not even gonna finish that cause I don't wanna get banned)

When I say "what should you do?", what I really mean is how should I communicate on my application the circumstances surrounding the bad grade? Talking to the professor, appealing to the head of the department, etc have all been done so those are not an option

Reactions: 2 users
There are worst grades than a C. Learn from your mistakes and stop stressing out

ALWAYS FLIP EVERY PAGE OF AN EXAM..... I see this so often! Same with people who don't write their name on the exam... HOW?

Some secondary applications will ask for you to explain any courses that you got less than, for example, a B-. In open application interviews, a C grade could be brought up. Even in closed application interviews, I have heard of applicants that were asked questions such as, "What is the lowest grade you have received?"

Last edited:
Accept that it happened, and move on. There's no point in dwelling on this. As long as it's not a consistent pattern of "mistakes" like this, people understand that most students have bad days once in awhile.

Reactions: 1 user
Things like this happen to the best of us. All you can do is be more aware next time - but also accept that you will make mistakes and there will be consequences. I wouldn't even mention this on an application and wouldn't bring it up in an interview unless asked. Focus on doing well in your other classes and crushing the MCAT when it's time to take it. Doing well in your other coursework will tell adcoms what you want them to know: that you're a qualified applicant despite one low grade.