A single interview not enough for decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently interviewed at a school where I also completed the undergrad. Upon going through the interview day I couldn't help but think about how the other interviewees, that were there for the first time, would make a decision. The tour showed quite little of the available hospital and facilities and there were some bad parts that were not shown either. It seems like the decision to go to a certain school is simply on your gut feeling (assuming multiple acceptances).

I would like to know what some of you do to get the most out of your interview visit.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to as many students as possible. In general, they will be honest and tell you the good parts and the bad parts about their school. And it is also important to see if you would fit in with them and enjoy working with them for 4 years. I feel like that is just as important as a good curriculum or awesome new cardiology center. Probably more important.

Talk to as many students as possible. In general, they will be honest and tell you the good parts and the bad parts about their school. And it is also important to see if you would fit in with them and enjoy working with them for 4 years. I feel like that is just as important as a good curriculum or awesome new cardiology center. Probably more important.

Agreed. The student tour is key, as it gives you an opportunity to hear input from students that isn't sugar-coated by the admissions office. The feedback I got from my tour guides last year was one of the main reasons I chose the school I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely talk to medical school students while you're interviewing.

keep your eyes open all day in order to see the things they show you, and the things they don't. for instance, some schools may not have a gym for you to work out in- which may or may not be a big deal. or, they may not show you a typical classroom.

keep a notepad with you, so you can jot down questions that might come up throughout the day. but also so you can write down your feelings/impression about the school at the end of the day.

ask if there's an opportunity for a "second look"- where you can come a second time and oftentimes have a more in depth look at the school

If you can try to talk to a 3rd or 4th year too. They have been through more of the process than the 1st years who usually seem to give the tour -so you can get more info.

But yeah for the most part its on your gut feeling.

I think whether the students tell the truth or not depends on the school. Some schools/students sugarcoat things. How everybody is so noncompetitive and how relaxed and cooperative the atmosphere is. How they have the best faculty that really care about students. How they have time to go out and have fun while doing community service and doing well in school. People are not quick to knock the school they attend.

You will rarely find an honest student who will tell you they go here because it was the only school they got into. I guess one of my first questions for students of any school would be how many schools did you get into? Why did you choose this school?

Try to look for bitter students. While they are jaded, they tend to tell it straight.

If you can try to talk to a 3rd or 4th year too.

Bingo

If you're not talking to them you're missing the most important part.

I also think many MS1's and MS2's lack perspective on how important certain aspects of their curriculum are. They may complain about learning "useless" things that turn out to be very important on the wards, for instance. I remember lots of preclinical students telling me how well their school prepared them from the boards -- but they hadn't taken the boards yet.

You are unlikely to encounter them on interview day, but Admissions should be able to find you some to e-mail.

This is one of the reasons for "second look" weekends for admitted applicants in April and May...your chance to kick the tires, and an opportunity for the school to heavily recruit you...

at this point, you want to go to the school more than the school wants you, so they're not going to wow your shoes off.

once you are accepted, then the situation changes and that's where second look comes in, plus phone calls to convince you, scholarships, etc.

I've met a couple obnoxious interviewees so far with whom I would not like be classmates. I'm not sure if they're inherently annoying or interview jitters are just bringing the worst out of them. I think a second look would be needed.