A Slew of Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OkelyDokely

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a bunch of questions that I was hoping all you knowledgeable people could help me with.

1.) Is it possible to submit the AMCAS for 10 schools tomorrow and then submit my application to 5 schools in a month? I ask because I may need another letter of recommendation for a few of the schools that I want to apply to, but I also want to apply early to those schools for which I already meet the letter of recommendation requirements.

2.) I may want to take the MCAT again at the end of the summer, but I'm not sure if I will. When I took the MCAT in May I did not study all of the biology material tested and did not have the time to do any physics practice problems, which is reflected in my scores on those sections. I would like to study that material, do some practice problems, and then take a practice test to gauge how much better I would do once August comes around. If I may take the test again, but I'm not sure at the moment, do I have to make a decision before I submit my AMCAS? I know there is a place to indicate if schools should expect additional MCAT scores in the future. Should I just say "no" and then, if I do take the test again, contact those schools to which I've applied to let them know that I have another score? If I should come to a decision before submitting, do all schools wait to evaluate your application until after your second score comes in? Would this be disadvantageous if I took the test again in late August?

3.) I am looking to go into MSTP for Neuroscience, but I would also consider MD programs if offered. Right now these are my scores:

Chem and Phys: 127
Critical Analysis: 128
Biology and Biochem: 125
Psych and Soc: 130

Total = 510

My GPA was 3.86, but 4.00 for my last two years of college (which included a fair number of pre-med courses). I've worked as the lead EEG tech in a respected Psychophysiology lab for the past 4 years. I've done some volunteering, but not a whole lot. I've attended several research conferences where I've presented posters on a research project which I've lead. I'm not published yet, but I expect I will be before the end of the year. What do you think my chances are of getting into these schools? Are any completely out of reach even if I improve my MCAT score?:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina
The University of Miami School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Uni. of North Dakota Sch. of Med. & Hlth. Sci.
University of Alabama School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson
University of California San Diego
University of Central Florida COM
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School (Where I went for undergrad and where my boss is adjunct faculty)
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

My apologies if some of these things don't belong in this section, but I figured it would be better to jam it all into one new thread rather than making three new ones.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You need only apply to one school in order to get your transcripts verified.
After verification, it takes only a business day for AMCAS to send additional primaries out.
A 510 is very low for MSTP programs.
Your list has schools that rarely take OOS/region for MD (ND, MUSC...).
Your stats make you a fair to good candidate for several MD programs, but if you applied primarily to MD/PhD, your application will be very, very late before it is considered for MD (even at the places that will do this).

What happened in your previous cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I was hoping that since I scored well on the Psych/Soc section, I've been working as an EEG tech, and I'm specifically going for Neuroscience in the MSTP program that the 510 wouldn't hurt too much. But if that's a gamble then it is good to know that shooting for such a program may hurt my chances for MD if it doesn't work out.

Last cycle I had bunch of problems. My GPA was lower, I had no volunteer or shadowing experience, I applied to only a few programs (some of which were not even realistic given my stats), and I applied late (early September). I've tried to address all of those this time.

Thanks for the response!

Does anybody have any insight with regards towards the first two questions?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Classic SDN mistake is to argue with, or not read, answers to your questions that come from reputable faculty.

MSTP is a free ride, dripping with prestige, so your competition is FIERCE. No, 510 isn't good enough. Your competition has pubs.

App assets that you accumulate after June, such as an MCAT retake, are extremely low yield.

If you're in a less competitive state such as Michigan or Louisiana, go ahead and apply instate this year. Otherwise slow down, regroup, get better informed about the process, plan a reasonable MCAT retake schedule, and get it right for next year.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
My apologies if it sounded like I was arguing. My intention was to state why I was under the impression that even with my low MCAT score I thought it would be possible to get into a MSTP. With regards to not reading, I did read the response but it was not clear to me what was meant about the transcript verification. I assume from your response that this was an answer to my first question.

Do you think that if I were to apply to MD programs rather than MSTP programs at the schools listed that I would not be competitive? I am in Minnesota.

Thanks again!

My apologies if it sounded like I was arguing. My intention was to state why I was under the impression that even with my low MCAT score I thought it would be possible to get into a MSTP. With regards to not reading, I did read the response but it was not clear to me what was meant about the transcript verification. I assume from your response that this was an answer to my first question.

Do you think that if I were to apply to MD programs rather than MSTP programs at the schools listed that I would not be competitive? I am in Minnesota.

Thanks again!
Your MCAT is right at the median for MN (regular MD).
There is no advantage to applying to many schools with an unknown second MCAT. One school is sufficient for AMCAS to verify your transcript. If you score worse on the MCAT than you expect, you will be a re-applicant at all those schools. If you are compelled to apply with unknown data, apply to a single throwaway school while you await your results.

You are a much more competitive MD candidate than MSTP.

Thanks again!
Given you're from MN applying to UND is reasonable. With your stats you have a strong shot at an automatic interview.

With your stats, I recommend the following:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Oakland-B
Any DO program., starting with CCOM, DMU and MUCOM
U MN

You guys are the best! This is the list of schools I think I'm going to apply to now. Since I'm applying 4 years out after I graduated and I had trouble getting LORs from professors I don't meet the LOR requirements for a lot Goro's suggested schools. However some I did include.

Creighton University School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina (MSTP only - Dr. Midlife's criticism of ignoring advice now applies, average MCAT of those accepted was 33 and I don't know that they have in state preference for this)
New York Medical College
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Alabama School of Medicine (MSTP only, this one is more of a pipedream)
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson (MSTP only)
University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis/Duluth
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

I realize I may be throwing my money away on some of these (MSTP programs, San Diego, Colorado are reachers) but a man can dream. Are there any other thoughts about the list, besides the aforementioned reachers?

Again, I'm very grateful for the thoughts thusfar.

You guys are the best! This is the list of schools I think I'm going to apply to now. Since I'm applying 4 years out after I graduated and I had trouble getting LORs from professors I don't meet the LOR requirements for a lot Goro's suggested schools. However some I did include.

Medical University of South Carolina (MSTP only - Dr. Midlife's criticism of ignoring advice now applies, average MCAT of those accepted was 33 and I don't know that they have in state preference for this)
New York Medical College
University of Alabama School of Medicine (MSTP only, this one is more of a pipedream)

I realize I may be throwing my money away on some of these (MSTP programs, San Diego, Colorado are reachers) but a man can dream. Are there any other thoughts about the list, besides the aforementioned reachers?

Do you have ties to UND or live in ND? if not take it off your list

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

You're correct, you are throwing money away on these programs. A 510 MCAT isn't going to get you into MSTP. These are for the tiop of the top. Save your money and take your dad to dinner this Father's day.

Delete the ones in red.

Add some DO schools. Beggars can't be choosy, and it's a buyer's market. I may have crossed out your state MD school. If so, restore it.

New York Medical College

Do you have ties to UND or live in ND? if not take it off your list

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile
OP is from MN. 11 spots are reserved for MN/WICHE applicants, and it is usually split 50/50 between the 2 groups. OP's stats and state residency should put him in the automatic interview invite range, and if not he'd be high on the list for applications that are given a second look after automatic interviews are decided. Also, even though its only a few seats, the waitlist for the MN/WICHE spots has much more movement than the one for IS applicants, which would also play to OP's favor if he/she gets an II.

Noted. Out of curiosity, Goro, why did you not eliminate The University of Miami School of Medicine or Tulane? From what I've seen, the average MCAT for these schools are around 34 and 33, respectively, which is higher than a lot of the other schools that were eliminated in your list. Is it because of a high OOS acceptance rate? Thanks!

Last edited:
OP is from MN. 11 spots are reserved for MN/WICHE applicants, and it is usually split 50/50 between the 2 groups. OP's stats and state residency should put him in the automatic interview invite range, and if not he'd be high on the list for applications that are given a second look after automatic interviews are decided. Also, even though its only a few seats, the waitlist for the MN/WICHE spots has much more movement than the one for IS applicants, which would also play to OP's favor if he/she gets an II.
The MN portion of the MN/WICHE program is entirely students from either the Red River Valley or with ties to the state. If OP isn't one of those then OP is not a good candidate for UND.