DO A small concern for nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitzm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick History: Failed out of school twice when I was very young (18 and 21 years old). Did massage therapy for a few years and loved it but couldn't quite make ends meet. Did cosmetology (peer pressure) and hated it, went back to school for chemistry halfway through and now I'll be graduating soon with a 3.7 (big change from my old <1.0). Took MCAT in their transition year and got a 29 (11V, 8P, 10B). Taking my earlier coursework into account, I should end up with at least a 3.5 when verified. ECs include hospital volunteer, ER research program, working in a family practice, working FT just to live, pre-med club, math club, and a small non-profit.

Also, I'm having a small dilemma with this past Spring. For my last semester my school requires that we take a one credit class that is just an exit interview and a small written/oral exam to make sure we actually know chemistry. However, I was taking my writing requirement this Spring and I wasn't feeling very confident about the grade so I talked to my advisor and she suggested that I take an incomplete and finish the class in the Fall which I'm doing. However, the chemistry course is now listed as an 'F' until this semester when I take the exam. The chair said he would just do a grade change so I wouldn't actually have to re-register for the class which is good but the earliest this would probably take effect would be early October which I think would be too late for apps.

I'll keep exploring options that can be done soon (this week), or am I just worrying too much? Is there somewhere on the app where I can just explain it or would it just not be a red flag and I'd get a question in an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

An F this late in the game will be concerning. The last thing you want, after so much work in reinventing yourself, is to have us think that you're uneven in your performance.

So get rid of the F ASAP.

Also, I'm having a small dilemma with this past Spring. For my last semester my school requires that we take a one credit class that is just an exit interview and a small written/oral exam to make sure we actually know chemistry. However, I was taking my writing requirement this Spring and I wasn't feeling very confident about the grade so I talked to my advisor and she suggested that I take an incomplete and finish the class in the Fall which I'm doing. However, the chemistry course is now listed as an 'F' until this semester when I take the exam. The chair said he would just do a grade change so I wouldn't actually have to re-register for the class which is good but the earliest this would probably take effect would be early October which I think would be too late for apps.

Its awesome that your chair will just do the grade change, having an F or an I during your "reinvention stage" would definitely hurt you application. Also, have you considered DO schools? Your GPA and MCAT look fairly competitive for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: I got in contact with the professor and he told me that I could change it to an incomplete until I can schedule the exit interview. Is that still an app killer? Also, @rocklobstr I am looking exclusively at DO.

Incomplete is much better!