Quantcast

A story of patience. My journey of getting into Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CICU21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
First of all I would like to thank every single person who posted on SDN as their experience was extremely helpful. I have been a silent member over these past 6 months but had promised myself to post my experience if I match as my journey has been a bit different compared to all the outstanding people here.

Background:
- IMG graduated from med scool in 2009.
- Started internal medicine residency in 2011 on H1B visa at a small little known community program. I had well below average scores with an attempt as well. I was able to secure a sub I at a program and ultimately prematched there at the end of my rotation in 2010.
- Applied for Cardiology fellowship for the first time in 2014. My program at that time got approved to start a Cardiology fellowship and I had done a bit of research with the incumbent PD so I was confident of matching in house. But as luck had it I only got one interview and that too at my own program and I went unmatched. This despite winning resident of the year awards and all. The reason given was that " we are a new program and we would like to explore outisde to get known."
- I was heartbroken and pretty dejected knowing with my scores and from a pretty unknown program my chances were limited but that is where friends and family provided me with the courage and strentgth and I pulled myself.
- 6 months left to find a job, out of nowhere one of my attendings and mentors asked me if I would be interested in pursuing a chief residency position at a University program as his friend is a PD and he is looking for one outside chief. He strongly recommended me and out of 10 people interviewed I got the spot.
- Applied again now as a Chief resident on my CV and by mid september didn't get any interviews.
- Writing was on the wall and I looked for hospitalist positions to get my green card thinking this will help me the most now to ultimately get into Cardiology.
- After finishing the chief year, I joined one of the big university programs as a CV Hospitalist and did a bit of reserach. At this point, I knew that if I had to achieve my ultimate goal of getting into Cardiology I have to go an extra mile.
- I have never been a fan of non accredited fellowships purely as a personal choice so I applied for critical care fellowship. Then again as luck had it, I only got one interview and a week later I received a phone call from the PD and I prematched into Critical care.

Journey of getting into Cardiology:
- Applied for the third time in 2017.
- Got 6 interviews from mainly University Programs.
- 12/06/17 12 pm was the best day and time of my life as I matched into my top choice.

What I did differently:
- By mid May I made a small Snapshot kind of a CV and emailed all 200 plus programs in the country with an introduction email.
- In that email I asked if I could visit them before the interview season begins for a day to round with the team in the morning and attend clinic in the afternoon.
- 9 programs invited me for this around June and July and I went to 6 out of which 2 sent me interviews and I matched into one of them.
- Did research no matter how little or small but kept my CV busy.
- All my letters were from my critical care faculty with no cardiology letters which made me a bit nervous but I rather had fresh letters then the old ones or people who hardly knew me personally.

This is my journey. I wanted to share this because I want to emphasize "if you desire it then you can accomplish it" and the noise which tells you that you can't do it is just that NOISE.

I am delighted for everyone who has matched and would love to help or guide people who went unmatched because if I can do it then anyone can do it.

Reactions: 7 users

MyTachyBradyHeart

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I would like to thank every single person who posted on SDN as their experience was extremely helpful. I have been a silent member over these past 6 months but had promised myself to post my experience if I match as my journey has been a bit different compared to all the outstanding people here.

Background:
- IMG graduated from med scool in 2009.
- Started internal medicine residency in 2011 on H1B visa at a small little known community program. I had well below average scores with an attempt as well. I was able to secure a sub I at a program and ultimately prematched there at the end of my rotation in 2010.
- Applied for Cardiology fellowship for the first time in 2014. My program at that time got approved to start a Cardiology fellowship and I had done a bit of research with the incumbent PD so I was confident of matching in house. But as luck had it I only got one interview and that too at my own program and I went unmatched. This despite winning resident of the year awards and all. The reason given was that " we are a new program and we would like to explore outisde to get known."
- I was heartbroken and pretty dejected knowing with my scores and from a pretty unknown program my chances were limited but that is where friends and family provided me with the courage and strentgth and I pulled myself.
- 6 months left to find a job, out of nowhere one of my attendings and mentors asked me if I would be interested in pursuing a chief residency position at a University program as his friend is a PD and he is looking for one outside chief. He strongly recommended me and out of 10 people interviewed I got the spot.
- Applied again now as a Chief resident on my CV and by mid september didn't get any interviews.
- Writing was on the wall and I looked for hospitalist positions to get my green card thinking this will help me the most now to ultimately get into Cardiology.
- After finishing the chief year, I joined one of the big university programs as a CV Hospitalist and did a bit of reserach. At this point, I knew that if I had to achieve my ultimate goal of getting into Cardiology I have to go an extra mile.
- I have never been a fan of non accredited fellowships purely as a personal choice so I applied for critical care fellowship. Then again as luck had it, I only got one interview and a week later I received a phone call from the PD and I prematched into Critical care.

Journey of getting into Cardiology:
- Applied for the third time in 2017.
- Got 6 interviews from mainly University Programs.
- 12/06/17 12 pm was the best day and time of my life as I matched into my top choice.

What I did differently:
- By mid May I made a small Snapshot kind of a CV and emailed all 200 plus programs in the country with an introduction email.
- In that email I asked if I could visit them before the interview season begins for a day to round with the team in the morning and attend clinic in the afternoon.
- 9 programs invited me for this around June and July and I went to 6 out of which 2 sent me interviews and I matched into one of them.
- Did research no matter how little or small but kept my CV busy.
- All my letters were from my critical care faculty with no cardiology letters which made me a bit nervous but I rather had fresh letters then the old ones or people who hardly knew me personally.

This is my journey. I wanted to share this because I want to emphasize "if you desire it then you can accomplish it" and the noise which tells you that you can't do it is just that NOISE.

I am delighted for everyone who has matched and would love to help or guide people who went unmatched because if I can do it then anyone can do it.

Inspirational story. Hard work and dedication got you to where you are. Good luck in your training!

Reactions: 1 user