Apr 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I work at a clinic where I work alongside physicians and physician assistants. The physicians I work with consistently distance themselves from me whenever I try to help them, and they always seem annoyed by my presence in general. I think they're just grumpy people in general. On the other hand, the PA I work with has been such an amazing presence. He let's me talk to him one on one about his experiences with patients, what my goals are as a physician, and thoughts on how I can improve patient care in the future. He also let's me present the patients to him as a med student/resident, and gives me constructive feedback regarding how I can improve my patient interviewing and presentation skills. I get such a supportive and encouraging vibe from him, which is the complete opposite of how the physicians are.

However, would it be bad to get a LOR from him solely due to his title as a PA? With the advent of scope creep and other aspects, would a LOR from a PA cast doubts to the AdComs? My letters from the physicians there will be generic at best, but could also potentially be bad (they are simply just unpleasant people).

Also, I do have a LOR from an MD/PhD, but she has never seen me outside the wet lab setting and therefore cannot attest to my clinical skills.

May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
A strong LOR from someone who knows you well is always a good thing. Bonus points if one of the physicians can be persuaded to cosign the letter.

Reactions: 2 users

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Very, very few schools even require a clinical letter. You already have one of those for schools that request it. I’d skip it. Just a thought, because you spend so much time with the PA, maybe the docs think you want to be a PA and think your questions etc are being dealt with.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads
Apr 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Very, very few schools even require a clinical letter. You already have one of those for schools that request it. I’d skip it. Just a thought, because you spend so much time with the PA, maybe the docs think you want to be a PA and think your questions etc are being dealt with.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm also wanting this letter because this would be the only relatively "recent" LOR (my other letters are from 1-2 years ago). Schools want at least one LOR from an individual who can attest to my recent activities, correct?

Regarding your second point, the PA only joined recently, and before that I was spending so much time trying to learn from the docs, but they consistently still avoided/ignored me. I only started spending time with the PA because the docs seemed to consistently not want to teach/interact with me.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm also wanting this letter because this would be the only relatively "recent" LOR (my other letters are from 1-2 years ago). Schools want at least one LOR from an individual who can attest to my recent activities, correct?

Regarding your second point, the PA only joined recently, and before that I was spending so much time trying to learn from the docs, but they consistently still avoided/ignored me. I only started spending time with the PA because the docs seemed to consistently not want to teach/interact with me.
you want a letter that fills the requirements of each individual school's requirements, which are usually academic instructors

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)

Actually no. Most schools want two letters from science professors and one from a non science professor. And then there are those here and there that want a specific letter for whatever reason.
You really want to use this letter, so use it. It’s your choice what to use in your application. Just make sure you read carefully and include the required letters.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.