A student's future, a student's future.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeri28

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...
I am a student in my 2nd year of Medical school. So far, my exam results have been on rollercoaster ride and I'm bothered about how it will affect my future career as a Health Professional. Could some/or many give me some advice about how results are viewed-especially if you are from an ethnic minority.

Secondly, do results truly speak about the type of person an individual is? For instance, Anatomy hasn't been my strongest point and as one lecturer indirectly stated- it's probably b/c I'm lazy. Don't see how as I spend so much time on it and I still only get average results. (Compared with other subjects-I spend half the amount of time and have gotten 1st class honors from time to time).

Thirdly, how should I as a student be conducting myself to show that I mean business in Medical school - as in building a good reputation on all fronts?

Lastly, I know that I don't want to be just another Medical student-I want to be involved in other things-how can I balance/manage time investing in my other talents without feeling guilty about school?

Please reply soon,
(I'd really like some honest advice)
Thanks,
J.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Jeri28
Hey...
I am a student in my 2nd year of Medical school. So far, my exam results have been on rollercoaster ride and I'm bothered about how it will affect my future career as a Health Professional. Could some/or many give me some advice about how results are viewed-especially if you are from an ethnic minority.

Secondly, do results truly speak about the type of person an individual is? For instance, Anatomy hasn't been my strongest point and as one lecturer indirectly stated- it's probably b/c I'm lazy. Don't see how as I spend so much time on it and I still only get average results. (Compared with other subjects-I spend half the amount of time and have gotten 1st class honors from time to time).

Thirdly, how should I as a student be conducting myself to show that I mean business in Medical school - as in building a good reputation on all fronts?

Lastly, I know that I don't want to be just another Medical student-I want to be involved in other things-how can I balance/manage time investing in my other talents without feeling guilty about school?

Please reply soon,
Thanks,
J.

You should know the answer to this question:

The different classes test different skills. Anatomy, for example, is heavily spatially oriented and you can be smart but just not good at that. Are you good at reading a map and driving around/finding stuff easily? Some people just aren't. Some people just "memorize" anatomy which I think leads to poorer results. Not all of anatomy is clinically relevant, so you should be fine as you review the material in 3rd/4th years. You can try teaching anatomy to junior MSs which I think reinforces things nicely.

If you wore a tutu to wards, you would have some people hate you and some people would love you. No matter what you do, you will have critics. You should (cliche) be yourself and conduct yourself that you are there to be 50% student and 50% worker taking care of patients.

Unfortunately, being a minority, you will be unfairly subjected to the fundmental attribution error (more than others). When you make mistakes, prejudiced people will see it as you not being fit for medicine, etc, etc. Sadly, there aren't alot of options for this. It will be harder on you than others. If you "fight" everything someone insinuates, you will just dig yourself deeper into a whole and I wouldn't suggest doing this unless the action is so blatantly against your morals that you MUST speak up. Or, in your head, you can say "screw them" and rise above it, just trying harder each time. Basically, just act like mom says.

Originally posted by Jeri28
Hey...

Please reply soon,
Thanks,
J.

J. Medical school is hard. If it wasn't everyone would be a doctor. You've made it to your second year. You probably don't have much bookwork left to do before you hit the clinics. IF you hang in there you will graduate.

You're struggling in some classes and excelling in others. Welcome to reality. Medical school if full of all types of people with different strenghts and weaknesses. Some of your classmates are struggling with classes that you are "drifting" through.

How can you conduct yourself in a more professional manner?

..Dunno..I never really tried. I dress different, act different, and look different than the majority of my classmates. But I get away with it because I work my a$$ off. If you're not going to fit in, then you have to make damn sure that when you get pimped you know what's up.

Do results speak to the kind of person someone is? IN general ABSOLUTELY! People want results.

However, if you're specifically alluding to grades I must confess that I have no clue. My school is P/F.

How can you balance other things in your life? By convincing yourself that those other things are important to you. What good is the MD degree if you lose yourself in the process.

I set time aside everyday for working out and running. Now that I'm familiar with medical school I'm starting to branch out into other activities.

You're a second year. You should know by now what it takes to succeed.

Good Luck.