A surgeon just told me something I had never heard before.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO/MBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
He said, "Take that damn stethoscope off from around your neck! Your not in the medicine side of practice. When you're with me, your a surgeon and we find different ways to carry our scopes."
I was cracking up. My first lesson from my attending is tie your steth and wedding band in the strings of your scrubs. "We are surgeons." Man that was nuts. Anybody ever heard of that before or had a similar wild idea comming from residents or attendings?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this something like mittens on a string? When you use the scope do you untie your scrubs first?

It is like a half-hitch. It doesn't affect the knot that keeps your scrubs up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen watches tied to scrubs too.

I have not seen the stethiscope thing in person (personally the doc I worked with always had his in his coat pocket as many other docs here do no matter the specialty) but I did read in First Aid for the Wards that some surgeons do not want you wearing your stethescope around the neck because it is a medicine thing.

seems kind of silly though

Most of the surgeons that I work with tie their wedding bands onto their scrubs. Some do the watch thing. However, the steth thing souds a little too hard to believe. Talk about uncomfortable :oops: . Most surgeons make rounds with their coats. If anyone is checking the patient with a steth in the OR its the anesthesia staff.

The stethoscope around the neck is a classic surgeon pet peeve!!! In the medical world, Internal Medicine folks are called fleas, and the stethoscope around their necks are called flea collars!!!

I know it doesnt really make sense cuz fleas don't really wear flea collars, but that's just the way it is.

Haha that's amusing.. well, to each his/her own as long as the scrubs don't get too weighted down and eventually fall off. :p