A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Declined my interview invite. Already have an acceptance and don't really want to interview for a waitlist spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning everyone! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the class of 2021?

Yes, they do! Type in ATSU- SOMA Class of 2021 :)

Edit: Oops, SmilingTooth already posted the link haha. Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted - pending an open seat! Yay! I think? I interviewed 3/3 and just got the phone call. Is this close to an acceptance, should I be excited? Or is this just a waitlist by another name?

Accepted - pending an open seat! Yay! I think? I interviewed 3/3 and just got the phone call. Is this close to an acceptance, should I be excited? Or is this just a waitlist by another name?

From what I've read so far and from what I understand, this is not a waitlist. If a seat opens up, you can start class this fall. Or, they will give you the chance to start class fall 2018. So, it's better than a waitlist in a way....

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted this morning-pending an open seat. Excited! But wish it was more concrete...Interviewed 3/3

Accepted this morning-pending an open seat. Excited! But wish it was more concrete...Interviewed 3/3

Does anyone know how long after one interviews it takes to get a rejection letter ? Is it 2 weeks as well ? And does it come now the form of an email ?

Also accepted this morning - pending open seat. Honestly did not know I was interviewing for a pending seat, but oh well. Interviewed 3/3.

Gonna attend this school over my two other acceptances at ACOM and LECOM. Lectures are not mandatory unlike over at ACOM. Students and staff seems more invested than over at LECOM. Weather in Arizona is significantly better than ACOM and LECOM. Area also has plenty of places to dine. The bump in tuition compared to LECOM hurts quite a bit, but I feel like I'll be happiest at ATSU if I get the actual acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know how long after one interviews it takes to get a rejection letter ? Is it 2 weeks as well ? And does it come now the form of an email ?

From this previous thread, it looks like people got an e-mail. In October, it looks like they found out the same day as those who were accepted. Maybe you could try calling? Good luck!

From this previous thread, it looks like people got an e-mail. In October, it looks like they found out the same day as those who were accepted. Maybe you could try calling? Good luck!

luckyely91: You are extremely helpful. Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that received CHC placements, how long did it take to get your placement after submitting the fee and admissions agreement? I can't wait to find out where my family and I are going to end up!

For those of you that received CHC placements, how long did it take to get your placement after submitting the fee and admissions agreement? I can't wait to find out where my family and I are going to end up!

It took exactly 10 days for me. :) Congrats!

I have a question concerning CHC assignment if anyone can shed some light.

Say a student who was accepted decide to forego their seat for another school, and they had Mesa as their CHC assignment, would someone who gets pulled off the accepted pending seat list get priority over that CHC spot over someone who was accepted already and is waitlisted for that spot?

I have a question concerning CHC assignment if anyone can shed some light.

Say a student who was accepted decide to forego their seat for another school, and they had Mesa as their CHC assignment, would someone who gets pulled off the accepted pending seat list get priority over that CHC spot over someone who was accepted already and is waitlisted for that spot?
Yes, I believe those who are on the waitlist for Mesa CHC spot will have a priority over those on accepted pending seat. Contact admissions to confirm.

I wonder if there have been "accepted pending an open seat" people that weren't given a spot last year

I wonder if there have been "accepted pending an open seat" people that weren't given a spot last year
I remember that they usually have to dive into the alternate list each year. So maybe they run out of those who are on the accepted pending seat during each cycle.

Got on the alternate list today!

Any current students live in Phoenix, Tempe, or Scottsdale? Do you find the commute to school inconvenient or is it a pretty common thing to live in these areas?
I am on the accept pending list but this school is my number one so I'm looking around for housing. If anybody has any suggestions or contacts regarding rentals, please pm me

should I bother with a LOI?
If you have not interviewed here yet, IMO a LOI may not make a big difference at this point. But who knows!
If you've already interviewed and from what I've heard from other applicants, the school puts a lot of emphasis on your performance on the interview day. LOI may help, but your scores (supposedly) will be a primary determinant. Good Luck!

I also was placed on the alternate list on Tuesday! Hoping to see some movement. :)

Yes it is!

When I spoke to admissions, they said at this time Ohio and SC are the only CHCs open but of if course to rank the others and they will get you as close to your first choice as possible if anyone was wondering about that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
anyone have any advice for preparing for the interview???

Glad to hear there is movement this early! I am also on the pending list from the 3/3 interview. Crossing my fingers I get off the pending list! Did you send a LOI?

I did send a LOI since they mentioned it in the accepted-pending email, so maybe that helped. It's my first choice so I'm excited! Good luck to you!

Can any current ATSU SOMA students talk about their experience at the CHC and rotations? I am interested in Chicago CHC but am concerned about the rotation experience since there are already so many medical schools in Chicago... What hospital do students do their rotations at? Thanks!

II today "pending an open seat in the class." Yay?

II today "pending an open seat in the class." Yay?
Hard decision indeed, especially when you already have an acceptance. If you would rank SOMA over your current acceptance, I think it's worth a shot.

Does anyone know how many students roughly they take from the waitlist?

Does anyone know how many students roughly they take from the waitlist?
Not a whole lot IMO, since they take out students off of the seat pending list before they dive into the alternate/wait list. Good Luck!

Does anyone have a list of good housing recommendations near the school, as far as a biking commute is concerned, since I wouldn't have a car initially moving down? Any ideas? Anything would be appreciated!!

Hi Smiling Tooth,

Any of your classmates live in Phoenix? My partner will be working in Northern Phoenix and I was hoping to find an apartment in between Northern Phx and East Mesa. Since lectures aren't mandatory, how often do first years show up to campus?
Did you get off the pending list? If yes, Congrats! I don't think commute will be a problem if you are willing to drive about an hour or so. I'll matriculate with you so don't know anyone on campus yet. Given that most lectures are not mandatory, but the labs are! So I think we will have to be on campus pretty much everyday for the first year at least. I was in Mesa recently and I think it will definitely benefit you to stay close to the main freeways if you are planning to commute. Maybe, the current students might be able to give you a better response. Good Luck!

Does anyone know what brand and model of stethoscopes that the school provides to students? My dad is pretty adamant about buying me a stethoscope as a present, and I just want to make sure that I don't have two of exactly the same brand and model. Thanks! :)

Does anyone know what brand and model of stethoscopes that the school provides to students? My dad is pretty adamant about buying me a stethoscope as a present, and I just want to make sure that I don't have two of exactly the same brand and model. Thanks! :)
What?! Is the school giving us a stethoscope? Where did you hear that lol

What?! Is the school giving us a stethoscope? Where did you hear that lol

Yep! Two of the second years told me. :) We'll apparently be getting "a blood-pressure cuff, stethoscope, otoscope, ophthalmoscope, and everything else you need for all your physical examinations"!

Yep! Two of the second years told me. :) We'll apparently be getting "a blood-pressure cuff, stethoscope, otoscope, ophthalmoscope, and everything else you need for all your physical examinations"!
I think it's part of that equipment fee we have to pay (it was noted in our acceptance packet). As far as the brand, no clue

II but can't go. Hope it goes to one of you. Only available day is april 28.

they're still interviewing?!!!!

Yes, I'll be interviewing on the 28th too. They're being very open about the fact that it's for a "pending" seat in the class.

Hey guys,

Current third year here, I can answer any questions you all have! Either private message me or just post them on here.

Hey guys,

Current third year here, I can answer any questions you all have! Either private message me or just post them on here.

Hi! Can talk about you experience at the CHC and rotations? I am interested in Chicago CHC but am concerned about the rotation experience since there are already so many medical schools in Chicago... What hospital do students do their rotations at? Thanks!